Some help with a stator and charge regulator...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 AM
Default Some help with a stator and charge regulator...

Hello All,

Thank you all for helping me with my charge problem. If you did not read my post my Ninja will not hold a charge.

If your battery does not hold a charge, take the battery out and check the level of fluid. Add distilled water to raise the fluid (if needed). Charge the battery (2 amps max for 12 hours). While charging hook up the cables that would connect the battery terminals to some power supply that gives 12Vs (i.e. car battery) but be careful not to touch any of the frame. When the bike starts disconnect the power supply...

If it runs at idle you will need to check the wiring from the battery, e****ally the ground wire.
If it does not run at idle you need to check three common things:
1. Fuses
2. Stator (alternator)
3. Charge Regulator

Does this sound right to everyone?
Is there a way to have the Charge Regulator checked instead of buying a new one? If so, with what, and where?

Thanks again!

Old 10-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Default RE: Some help with a stator and charge regulator...

Buy a multimeter, if you're getting a reading past 15 volts, your regulator is shot. If you hold the multimeter to your battery and it slowly drains in power, your stator is bad. If you charge a battery and you get less than a couple starts off of it before you can't start your bike anymore, you've got a bad battery.

Those are some pretty simple guidelines I've developed after replacing the entire charging system on my bike after I wrecked it. The service manual offers very in-depth readings you can go by (ohms, volts) to better guage the issue. I stuck to just volts, and that should help you along.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 AM

Thank you...I am just getting a little frustrated! I hate working on the electrical system, but again thanks for the input.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

oh and motorcycle batterys are sealed and not designed to be opened

Old 10-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Good info schwillty

Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: schwillty

Thank you...I am just getting a little frustrated! I hate working on the electrical system, but again thanks for the input.
I almost pushed my bike over a few times, you just have to take it all in stride man. I was too stubborn to replace my stator after I put a new cover on after the wreck and had already sealed it up, but sure enough after I took it all apart again I could see coils touching. I had already replaced the battery and regulator too, so I was all out of options. Hey, if you need a new stator and don't want to pay close to 300 bucks for a new one via Ronayers.com or anybody else, these Canadian folks are AWESOME. Canadians hooked me up man, check it out : www.rmstator.com

Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM

Thanks man...you are right I do not want to pay $300 for a new one