What to do with the tool bag.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Default What to do with the tool bag.

So I have a 2014 KLX 250 S and I ordered a rack to put on the back so I can go on short trips. I ordered the "Moose Racing Expedition Rear Rack - 2014 Kawasaki KLX250S" but was told by the sales person that I would need to remove the tool bag. Thus the question, What do I do with the tool bag. I would like keep the tools so that if I need them I have them. How did you all solve this issue? I searched but didn't find a post like this, I apologize if its a duplicate.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

You can get a different tool bag. Throw them in your back pack or get a tank bag. Wolfman makes some cool bags. I'm not sure how the Moose rear rack is but I'm sure you can install it then maybe find a way to affix the factory tool bag to it.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 PM

I like that idea. In fact I have a case for a net book that I don't use that would work perfect. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

You can do all kinds of creative things to tote stuff on rides. Since I often ride alone in very remote areas, I carry a decent amount of stuff. I don't camp off the bike, but I might have to spend the night due to a mechanical or such after I send a non-injury SPOT message. I also use a decently large backpack. While I might need tools, parts, some food, water, and something to keep warm while stranded at night, I also have to ride some decently challenging terrain. I can't load up like a Winnebago and still handle the bike in some of these situations. I try to keep the weight and amount of "goods" reasonable.

I use the setup in this pic in addition to the backpack. The small fender bag holds critical hand tools. The number plate bag holds foldable rain gear. The rack bag...under those plastic trash bags...is a tough, bicycle rack bag full of other necessities, and those two side number plate bags hold other essentials. The stuff really adds up even if you're not camping off the bike. I've tried tank bags, but they don't suit my riding style or my bigger gas tank. I scoot too far forward in many situations, and anything up there just gets in my way. The rear rack bag is bad enough in limiting my movement occasionally, so a tank bag just plants me in a hole.

People and their riding applications vary, but this is what has worked for me.

Attached Thumbnails What to do with the tool bag.-0513140921a.jpg  

Last edited by TNC; 06-17-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I ended up buying a small Moose Racing tail pack and tool organizer that I keep my trail repair kit with some spare levers/parts stowed away. I moved the stock pack up to the front of the seat and keep a tube in it. It seems to be holding up well(aside from the addition of some speed tape on the tail bag) and I did mount up a bike pump under the r/h side plate to do flat repairs.
So far I haven't needed to use anything while out in the woods but it's nice knowing that it's there.

Attached Thumbnails What to do with the tool bag.-003.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Wolfman Enduro Tank bag for me. Front fender bag with 2 tubes and irons is strapped to the back fender.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Baggets?

Originally Posted by TNC
You can do all kinds of creative things to tote stuff on rides. Since I often ride alone in very remote areas, I carry a decent amount of stuff. I don't camp off the bike, but I might have to spend the night due to a mechanical or such after I send a non-injury SPOT message. I also use a decently large backpack. While I might need tools, parts, some food, water, and something to keep warm while stranded at night, I also have to ride some decently challenging terrain. I can't load up like a Winnebago and still handle the bike in some of these situations. I try to keep the weight and amount of "goods" reasonable.

I use the setup in this pic in addition to the backpack. The small fender bag holds critical hand tools. The number plate bag holds foldable rain gear. The rack bag...under those plastic trash bags...is a tough, bicycle rack bag full of other necessities, and those two side number plate bags hold other essentials. The stuff really adds up even if you're not camping off the bike. I've tried tank bags, but they don't suit my riding style or my bigger gas tank. I scoot too far forward in many situations, and anything up there just gets in my way. The rear rack bag is bad enough in limiting my movement occasionally, so a tank bag just plants me in a hole.

People and their riding applications vary, but this is what has worked for me.
So many small bags. Would you consider them baggets? It does seem like a good way to keep organized though.

What's with the frozen turkey on the rear rack?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I bolted mine under the fender. Literally the opposite side, just kept everything in a baggy. I never use it because well the KLX doesn't die so.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry..... thought this thread was about a person.

nevermind

Quick Reply: What to do with the tool bag.