Show me your toolkit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Show me your toolkit

I remember the first day home with my bike looking at the stock toolkit, I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw those pliers, REALLY!?!

Since then I've wanted to do two things; find a better place to stow my toolkit and replace the tools with better/fewer ones. I could have screwed the stock toolkit right into my Pro Moto rack but then I would be losing storage space on the rack. I didn't like that idea. I tried to wedge some tools above the instrument panel and that didn't work. So I decided the best place was under my rack above the taillight. It would be out of the way but convenient. The obvious problem was what to put there since the stock toolkit was too big.

Well yesterday at OfficeMax I saw a neoprene eReader case on clearance. It was the right dimensions and slim enough to squeeze between the rack and the bike. I cut two small holes and used oversized washers with the stock toolkit bolts and screwed it in. It fits great with easy side access to my tools.

Which leads me to my next question, what's in your toolkit. One thing I've learned is we all have different tool needs. What might be right for one guy would never work for the next.

So when building my toolkit I did so with a minimalistic approach to it. My daily commute is only a few miles so there is nothing on a daily basis I couldn't handle with my kit. Whereas if I was going camping I would bring a lot more tools with me.

Obviously I replaced a lot of the stock tools with an 8" adjustable wrench and a mulit-purpose tool. Most notably missing is anything to change a tire. I'm still thinking about that.

But I was curious what others have that I should consider adding. Eventually I'll have two toolkits, one for daily use and one for road trips and such.

Attached Thumbnails Show me your toolkit-img_1872.jpg   Show me your toolkit-1.jpg   Show me your toolkit-2.jpg   Show me your toolkit-3.jpg   Show me your toolkit-4.jpg  

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Brein,
I'm still working on my "final" tool kit. I really like a front fender bag for the longer trips. The end of this post shows something I found elsewhere and am working on. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e2/#post461346

In know people hate the "use the search" response, but if you do, you'll find some very interesting tool kits on here.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-09-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Here is what I have, and depending what kind of ride I might add or subtract stuff.

Name:  100_5956.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  100_5959.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  106.9 KB

Standard sub-par OEM kit
Name:  Picture_0017.jpg
Views: 1786
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  Picture_0014.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  105.9 KB

On really long trips I take these.

Name:  P4118853.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  65.6 KB

Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Stockton Tool Co (Cyclegear brand) makes a couple small multitools that I bring along depending on the riding conditions. They can usually be had for under $10.

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY Universal Parts & Accessories - 15-in-1 Multi Tool - Cycle Gear
and
STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY Universal Parts & Accessories - Mini Ratchet Kit - Cycle Gear

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

motorcycle service included...200 miles towing....

Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666

BUT: it might be a looong walk to cell coverage or a pay phone!!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666

A $40 annual membership in the AMA includes roadside assistance, which includes towing for your 4 wheeled vehicles too!
I bought the AMA card so I could ride certain events where membership was required, and other events where AMA member's entry fees are discounted. That card easily paid for itself last year. On joining they send you a $10 bike bandit card, I saved another $30 on entry fees for a couple DS events, and then the wife's minivan broke down and needed a tow.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

i do a lot of long distance trips...and, i really wanted the 200 miles towing...

Originally Posted by dan888
A $40 annual membership in the AMA includes roadside assistance, which includes towing for your 4 wheeled vehicles too!
I bought the AMA card so I could ride certain events where membership was required, and other events where AMA member's entry fees are discounted. That card easily paid for itself last year. On joining they send you a $10 bike bandit card, I saved another $30 on entry fees for a couple DS events, and then the wife's minivan broke down and needed a tow.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Here is what I have, and depending what kind of ride I might add or subtract stuff.

Standard sub-par OEM kit

On really long trips I take these.

Where did you get that spark plug container? I pulled mine out from the stock toolkit bag and found the threads and been damaged from continuously rubbing against the tools.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

It came in the cruiz tool kit. But you can get the plug holder at any bike shop.

Quick Reply: Show me your toolkit