Thoughts on my BB options...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Thoughts on my BB options...

I posted this in my other thread, but figured I'd start a new thread instead of burying it in my old post...

just deciding on one of these options, as the minister of finance (wife)won't sign off on more than a grand right now..

2011 KLX250S 6 000KM, Stock everything:

1) 351 kit and bills 33/34 pumper carb, keep stock exhaust

or

2) 351 Kit, keep stock carb and rejet, and get a new exhaust.

or

3) 351 kit and try the T36-68 carb. but bill says the T36-68 won't fit, as the boots will be the wrong sizes, and cables won't fit. I don't really want to go goofing with a whole new project if I can help it...and keep stock exhaust

I'm not really after wheelies, but want to be able to pop the front up over obstacles on the trail, preferably without, or less, clutching all the time.

The end result will be getting everything done, but for now I have to decide on only 2 things ..

Any thoughts?

Much appreciate any input, thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
I'm not really after wheelies
VVV *TRANSLATION* VVV

I am after wheelies. Come on man, everyone wants to do wheelies.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
VVV *TRANSLATION* VVV

I am after wheelies. Come on man, everyone wants to do wheelies.

Lmao, ya ok, maybe just 1 or 2

Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain the TM36-68 fits the big bores. The majority of BB users have it on their bikes.. plus its 100 bucks cheaper than Bill's TM34. If the stock carb fits, the TM36-68 will fit, I'm using it on my bike right now.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Get the big bore and carb, wait until you can afford an exhaust and do it all at once.
Or...screw BB, swap in some modern forks and revalve and rise the rear...I bet this will make you faster off road.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

The TM36-68 certainly DOES fit-plenty of folks on here are using it-do a search on the details of that swap. The 351 will transform the characteristics of the bike in a good way-best bang for the buck. The only thing I wish that Bill would do is add a dry film friction coating to the piston skirt-the big bore can suffer from some thrust wear that the coating will help.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the CV carb make a smooth power delivery, so with a pumper carb I think you'll be better off.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, to my way of thinking there is not much choice to be made. If you force the 351 to pump its' exhaust through the stock silencer, it won't matter which carb you have on it. As Bill verifies, you are only going to make 22.24 hp / 18.69 trq ... You can get really close to that with just Forum mods + full exhaust system + carb rejet on your bike as it is now..

On the other hand, 351 + slipon/full system + rejet will get you 26+ horsepower.. Not really much choice to be made..

Old 09-30-2015, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Well, to my way of thinking there is not much choice to be made. If you force the 351 to pump its' exhaust through the stock silencer, it won't matter which carb you have on it. As Bill verifies, you are only going to make 22.24 hp / 18.69 trq ... You can get really close to that with just Forum mods + full exhaust system + carb rejet on your bike as it is now..

On the other hand, 351 + slipon/full system + rejet will get you 26+ horsepower.. Not really much choice to be made..
As I said, I will be doing everything, hopefully sooner rather than later, but for right now I've only got 1000$ to play with.

I think I've settled on pumper and 351 now, with exhaust this spring.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

IMO, skip the Big bore and do the exhaust for now. Rejet the CVK as KLXster or others have outlined and enjoy similar power levels.

THEN when you're ready for the Big Bore and carb combo your exhaust is already on and ready to rock.

It sounds like you might get what you're wanting out of just the exhaust anyway. I can easily pop my front tire up in 1st and 2nd gear off road when needed now - and I don't even have a header.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my BB options...