Technical Trail Bikes Comparison Table

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Technical Trail Bikes Comparison Table

At this point I have done 75 rides on my KLX250S in the last year and a half--some great adventures in CO, AZ, NM:

KLX by deeprider5 | Photobucket

It has become clear I am a technical trail rider not a dual-sport rider. For me and the KLX, love the plate but not the weight.

So I have been thinking about other options for technical trail bikes or what Bumgardner calls “barely street-legal” motorcycles (DIrt Bike Magazine | KTM 350EXC DUAL SPORT REPORT)

This is a special niche across the categories of Trail, Enduro, and Dual-Sport (Bike Finds - every used dirt bike for sale!). For me, the distinguishing features are low weight (300 lbs max), wide ratio transmission, short wheelbase, sophisticated suspension, and plateable for riding between trails.

I’ve put collected data in a Google Sheet. Sorted by spec weight, the table looks like this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...dlRNwc/pubhtml

What you can’t see in this web page are the “Notes” explaining or citing a reference. The Notes are only visible through Google Sheets:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sheets are handy but you will need a Google.com or Gmail.com account. Throwaway accounts are popular.

Feel free to crowdsource more info into the table by editing or adding Comments.

Hope this data helps others to compare options.

Last edited by KawaBiker; 04-18-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Google account clarified
Old 04-16-2016, 07:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Kawabiker, is there really any competition to the street legal 350 and 500 KTM EXC's?...other than money? These two can actually be raced if so desired, and then cover a decent amount of pavement to make trail ride connections out in the boondocks. They're both dead-on reliable, and they are not glass slippers as far as durability. A lot of things have changed in how tough these bikes are. Dirt Rider magazine even has a big writeup on the EXC500 right now that covers a lot of info about using it as true dual sport that has extreme capability off road. I used to want a KTM 690 endure, but I lean more and more to the 500. A lot of states, mine included, allow pure off road bikes to be plated for street, but at that point you got as much or more in the bike as the 500...and often not as reliable on the pavement. Talking new-to-new prices here, of course.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Wait for the SWM bikes next year. Another quality option at better prices.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

> is there really any competition to the street legal 350 and 500 KTM EXC

They are very awesome machines. Amazing. But it all depends on what you want to do.

Last weekend I rode a 350 EXC-F on technical trails. The faster I rode (where possible) the more impressive it was. But at my skill level I found it difficult to turn around and between trees and rocks. And I'm really not addicted to speed.

The owner dissed me... but he also owns a $7000 Beta Xtrainer and enjoys riding it in the tight stuff.

Yesterday I rode the same trails on my CRF230F. I found the CRF to be a lot more fun because it is 50 lbs lighter and two inches shorter... and I'm 6'1.

At this point I am focused on an AJP. I think it will keep the light weight of the CRF but add excellent modern suspension and be plateable.

Again, it depends on your priorities. Nothing does everything well. This is why some riders have several bikes. As Zomby points out, there are exciting developments in the market.

Last edited by KawaBiker; 04-16-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

AJP... ? A Japanese Pomeranian ?

Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, AJPEEEE... Hey, the Moldavia dealer is probably closest..?

Old 04-16-2016, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

> Hey, the Moldavia dealer is probably closest

A bit closer than that Definitely an exotic but the company has been around for years.

This review is positive:

DIrt Bike Magazine | EXOTIC AND INEXPENSIVE: AJP PR4 TRAIL BIKE

We shall see how it compares.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok.. The appeal of a playbike engine in a "racing" frame never dies.. We used to make AJP's by putin CL125 engines in CR80 frames etc etc..

Last edited by Klxster; 04-17-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

If I had ten grand to spend on a dual sport plated racer I'd do it. There is a reason the KLX and others of its ilk are good sellers - best the rider can or wants to afford.

Right now if I were to do a plated off roader it woud likely be a Yamaha WR or Honda CRF X . Why, you may ask? Price. I could get one of them for less, wire the brake light up and go. The KTM would be marginally better IF the rider could use it. I'm not too proud to say - I couldn't. I would likely be as quick on the CRF as a KTM and probably be thousands ahead.

But I only have around $3000 in my KLX counting the pip, TM36-68 I have yet to install, as well as all the other goofing around with bits and pieces and tires I did. I doubt I could have gotten a KTM dual sport in as good of condition for any where near that.

It's all about money... as usual.

Last edited by klx678; 04-17-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't call the AJP or CRF light bikes. In fact, the Hondas are pigs. I like the AJP, and would be interested if they were cheaper. KLX power (if not more) in a lighter, better suspended frame. Would make a great woods bike for somebody (like me) who can be fast without a lot of power. The SWM's are the older, pre BMW Huskies. Excellent bikes with quality components at better prices.