Suggestions for Dyno testing of MegaBomb ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Suggestions for Dyno testing of MegaBomb ?

The MegaBomb is waiting at the house. I should be able to get home long enough to do the dyno testing within the next month. I am open to suggestions on this testing as I'm going to be spending money with the intention of providing the forum a creditable comparison of stock header vs MegaBomb.

Here's my plan so far -
Do roll-on, SAE corrected, 4th gear tests.
Ride to Dyno, run it while at operating temp. Get HP/TRQ and AFR chart.
Install MegaBomb on site.
Dyno again and overlay data onto the first run to get a chart comparing both runs.
I should end up with a HP/TRQ, AFR chart that shows the differences.

Thoughts ;
If the Megabomb causes the bike to go leaner, I will not be able to install a larger main jet - I'm using the largest now, DJ#132... So I won't know what to do, in that case, to richen the WOT AFR.
I have port matched my header.. Is that going to be a problem ? I personally don't think the bike benefited at all and may even have lost a little performance.

Last edited by Klxster; 03-05-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
The MegaBomb is waiting at the house. I should be able to get home long enough to do the dyno testing within the next month. I am open to suggestions on this testing as I'm going to be spending money with the intention of providing the forum a creditable comparison of stock header vs MegaBomb.

Here's my plan so far -
Do roll-on, SAE corrected, 4th gear tests.
Ride to Dyno, run it while at operating temp. Get HP/TRQ and AFR chart.
Install MegaBomb on site.
Dyno again and overlay data onto the first run to get a chart comparing both runs.
I should end up with a HP/TRQ, AFR chart that shows the differences.

Thoughts ;
If the Megabomb causes the bike to go leaner, I will not be able to install a larger main jet - I'm using the largest now, DJ#132... So I won't know what to do, in that case, to richen the WOT AFR.
I have port matched my header.. Is that going to be a problem ? I personally don't think the bike benefited at all and may even have lost a little performance.
Maybe you could tug on the choke a little if your Megabomb leans it out? Or look up the Keihin/DJ main jet interchange chart and take Keihin jets with you if you have access to them

Here ya go: http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_miku...ihin_sizes.htm

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 03-05-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Richard. That web site is great. I really do not want to re-jet at the dyno shop. I an hoping the MegaBomb won't radically change the AFR. But if it does, that information is valuable in itself.

It is a fact that my bike gained 1 hp when I went from 14.5 to 12.9 AFR so I may have no choice but to dyno a third time, after a rejet, if the AFR goes lean.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Richard. That web site is great. I really do not want to re-jet at the dyno shop. I an hoping the MegaBomb won't radically change the AFR. But if it does, that information is valuable in itself.

It is a fact that my bike gained 1 hp when I went from 14.5 to 12.9 AFR so I may have no choice but to dyno a third time, after a rejet, if the AFR goes lean.
Well you can assume if you go REALLY lean (not damaging lean) that you need a bigger main jet which in turn means you gain power.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes that's the way I see it too.. If I go lean all the way back up close to 14.5 then I know at least one more HP can be gained with a re-jet.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Is this the Chinese Megabomb or the US version btw?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

If you do run lean you could always put the airbox lid back on sans snorkel for the test. Just a thought. Looking forward to your results.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Richard, it is the actual FMF Megabomb. I had my peeps check it out at the house... It has "FMF" stamped in it and the paperwork states it as an FMF MegaBomb....

2veedubs, I don't expect the AFR to go way up BUT I really hope it does. If so, I assure you I will re-jet and re-dyno to get the full benefit on paper.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Richard, it is the actual FMF Megabomb. I had my peeps check it out at the house... It has "FMF" stamped in it and the paperwork states it as an FMF MegaBomb....
I think people had weld issues, I'm not sure if fmf cleared it up, but just in case watch for weld breaking by the expansion chamber

Old 03-06-2014, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

While you're fiddling around on the dyno, take the seat off under power and see if the a/f ratio changes. (but hold it down until you're ready)

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Dyno testing of MegaBomb ?