Stall or bog after deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stall or bog after deceleration

So for awhile now I've noticed that sometimes after gearing down then accelerating, the bike seemed to act like there's no fuel but just for a second. It doesnt happen everytime. Then it accelerates fine. I'm wondering if the slide gets stuck or if it is a fuel thing. Anyone else ever have this?

Old 05-05-2015, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Check the float level?
And the fuel line for a kink?
That's all my K(eep)I(t)S(imple)S(tupid) mind can come up with at the moment.
Other than that you'll need a carb expert, which I am not.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I had checked the float level when I swapped jets a month again. Not that I did it perfectly but....
I can ride wot to top gear and not run out of fuel. Just after gearing down. The good news is that it doesn't leave me stranded.
Last year it happened and the bike would only idle and would stall when I gave it throttle. I'd bang on the side of the carb and it would be fine.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

It's somewhat similar to what happens to both my 2009 and 2011, except it's typically when riding home on the road, back from the trails. It will just sputter and die, so I stop, maybe tap the side of the carb, then it will start up again, but typically run for another minute or so, then stop. It's like it's running out of fuel - switching to reserve doesn't make any difference. I had the tank apart on one and checked the little filters in the tank, but they were clean etc.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

To us old timers with lots of old machinery to run, tapping on the carb to start flow is common.. Your float is sticking shut if it'll only run when tap'd.. Time for a new needle-n-seat..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-05-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I will try that but my 'gut' says maybe the slide sticking.
I'll post back when I've replaced the float and needle.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, ianmcdca, I don't know what your issue could be.. Rgrm250s' problem seems to be a needle/seat/float assembly that is sticking closed..

Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Oh, ianmcdca, I don't know what your issue could be.. Rgrm250s' problem seems to be a needle/seat/float assembly that is sticking closed..
It seemed like it was the issue (sticking float needle.) But after having it happen more, I started to just stop, wait a minute, then the bike would fire back up and run for a while longer - no tapping the side of the carb. I'd just kept tapping it thinking that was the problem, but after taking it apart and cleaning it and not finding any issues, I stopped tapping the carb and would get the same results, so it seems like it's not a stuck float needle.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I guess for the record..

A worn out needle/seat will leak fuel instead of sealing. This is when your carb floods out and/or leaks out the overflow tube - only cure is replacement.

A varnished or "gummed up" needle/seat will have enough stiction between the tubular portion of the seat and the needle to cause erratic operation of the needle - enough stiction, and the needle can stay shut in an empty bowl... Only reliable cure is to replace the needle/seat.. All this is assuming the float/needle/seat assembly is installed correctly with all the proper components.

Obviously, a "sticky" needle/seat can cause all manner of weird and strange carburetion issues..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-06-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Yup. Well I'll figure it out. I'm gonna order a couple more jets too and see if that helps my other issues. But, I will replace the needle too. Maybe the design causes it to stick sometimes?

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Stall or bog after deceleration