Rut crossings

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:25 AM
bas
Default Rut crossings

While riding over some deep ruts the skid plate hung up ontop of a ridge and the engine knocked a few times.My concern is was that knock a predetination?In hind sight I should have engaged the clutch sooner or is there another technicqe when encountering deep rut crossings?

Old 04-25-2015, 12:52 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Did you stall the engine? I kind of doubt that what you heard was the engine vitals knocking...unless there's more to this story...like a hole in the crankcase or such. If you stalled the engine you may have heard the KACR doing its thing. If the engine stalls under just the right circumstances it can make a funky awful noise...as well as the starter gear ring under similar circumstances.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:36 AM
bas

It kept running enough for the tire to regain grip and lift me over the obstacle without any visible damage,though it sounded near a stall.KACR whats that?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Piston slap, don't lug the 250. Crossing ruts; lean a bit back and pin it...

Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

KACR: Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release

Old 04-25-2015, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm on board with both. I don't know when the Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release will kick in, probably around 800 rpm or so, but it will definitely clack loudly. Low rpm under load will also cause some piston slap. Neither is really harmful unless repeatedly done.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:43 PM
bas

I,ve got some ideas to try out now,one is to dial in more pre load for clearance,two is shift weight rearward,three is one finger on the clutch one on brake levers when menuvering like trials riding,four slip the clutch a bit to keep rpm,s up.I suspect the knock is detonation before top dead center below idle speed.About to go to the OHV park now to get some seat time in.