Return to Folly Beach, SC...2 years later...aka "The No Kickstand Tour"

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Return to Folly Beach, SC...2 years later...aka "The No Kickstand Tour"

So a couple of years ago I put up a link to a ride report on the KLX. I think I originally had posted in the ADV thread about minimalist touring with 250cc or less.
Well, I'm posting here about this trip, which was a return to SC to run the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K with my brother, his wife, and her extended family and friends after 2 years.
I was going to fly, but airfare was a little nutty and with the winter we've had...a nice long ride seemed like just the thing to clear my head.
I also hadn't had a vacation since the previous August (which was only a long weekend), and combined with taking a new job(moved from the warehouse to the front office) and all the stress from a crazy learning curve, I needed to get away!
I prepped the bike with a tune-up and swapped out the studded tires for new D606s (I know not road trip tires but I had hopes of SC dirt once I arrived).
I added a KLR rider style heat shield on the muffler to help keep my bags from melting(more on that later).
The day to depart came and the roads were a little icy at 6AM, so I waited a few hours for the sun to do it's magic, especially since my first 12 miles were over a mtn pass that often gets snow. Finally rolling out at 9AM, I rode up to the pass, where I usually stop and oil my chain and do a once over on the bike...checking bags, straps, bolts, etc...before a trip.
Now here's where it gets interesting...
So I've oiled my chains forever by sitting on the ground and putting my left foot on the kickstand, right foot on the tire, and grabbing the handlebar and using the kickstand as a fulcrum to lift the rear wheel so I can spin it as I lube the chain. It's worked for years on all makes of bike...until that day.
In mild shock and amusement I watched my kickstand fold backwards and collapse under the weight of my loaded bike, onto me.
I thought,"Oh yeah dumbass, you're carrying 1/2 a passenger back there", as I realized I was on a mtn pass trapped under my bike. In fact I had a lot of stuff; a work computer, dress clothes, running clothes, normal clothes, etc for a 5 day trip and should have known better.
So anyway, there I am sitting under my bike, both feet pinned, I could barely reach the petcock but managed to stop the fuel flow and now it starts to get funny. 10 miles into a 2500+ mile trip and I'm pinned under my bike with no kickstand. After about 10min I manage to free a foot, which let me lever the bike up enough to get out. No car had gone by yet. Finally stood it up and was wondering, "Now what?"
Take a pic and finish lubing the chain, then decide.

Name:  IMG_3451_zpsj0oq1ys7.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  130.1 KB

OK, I can go back unload into the car and go, or I can say,"Screw that! Where's your sense of adventure man?"
I opted for the latter. I mean how hard can it be to ride 1200 miles without a kickstand?
Lemme tell ya son, it ain't as easy as it seems.
I thought to myself I have EZPass, a CC for gas (although I couldn't fill the rear tank while on the bike), I can hit a drive through...except for all those rest breaks to stretch and use the head...it seemed a no brainer.
Lots a kickstands out there, you just gotta know where to look.

Name:  IMG_3452_zpsresdml4p.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  128.5 KB

Note the KLR rider highway pegs. Worked like a charm.

I stopped for gas the first time and while riding back to the highway I see a guy with a welder in his truck! I roll up next to him and yell over I need a welder now, broke my kickstand! He rolls his window down and apologizes, he doesn't have any leads! Alright, with a heavy sigh I rolled on.

Sometimes you have to go rogue and hope you get away with it. I did.

Name:  IMG_3456_zpsd2nnbvnw.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  98.6 KB

The parking lots need light, I need something to keep the bike up...

Name:  IMG_3459_zpsfb2x8ryc.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  126.8 KB

Now I've been riding since 9AM, leaning the bike all over, including at the pumps. After dark, I stopped filling the rear tank so a gas stop just required stopping and not getting off until after "parking".

Name:  IMG_3463_zps5t9xxbhl.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  146.3 KB
Somewhere in MD, I think...time to add caffeine by the bucket load...there's a long way to go and a short time to get there.
Total trip time ala google maps, NH to SC, is 18hrs...I was hoping for 24...in time for everyone's arrival and lunch.

The No Kickstand Tour continues...after I try and catch up on sleep.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

So I'd been riding for way too long. I could feel that the caffeine was starting to lose it's effectiveness, it was time to pay close attention to my state of awareness. Kind of hard to do when you are starting to get fatigued. None the less, when I stopped for gas I would drink some coffee and stretch and then run around. Once fully back to an alert state, I would get back on for the next stint of riding.
Rest areas become your friend when fatigue sets in. They often just provide a safe spot to nap or refuel and energize . I stopped often because I felt myself drifting, rest areas are key to survival for me. And I was often too tired or sore to give a crap about where I parked...

Name:  IMG_3464_zpsv5wtiir3.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  123.4 KB

Parking was beginning to be an art form. I was judging myself like an Olympic
gymnastics judge, slightly different criteria, but multiple aspects were judged...1)proximity to target, 2)quality of the "kickstand replacement", and 3)points for creativity. What can I say, I was tired and bored from slabbing it...only the cities with there craziness provided any relief.

This one got points for daring. That dumpster was slimy and stinky!

I met lot's of nice folks along the way. It started as I walked into a CT rest area before a storm started. Went to NE standby for coffee (DunkinDonuts) at the rest area, the guy making coffee asked me what I was riding. I told him a KLX250. I could tell he immediately knew what it was. "Where are you headed," he asked. When I told him his eyes popped out of his head! I then took my coffee outside so I wouldn't have to delayer. A few minutes later he came out for a smoke and we started talking. Long story short, I was heading straight to his family's home, he got sentimental, and then offered me all the refills on coffee I could stand. After explaining my time frame and squirrel sized bladder, he realized my dilemma in drinking too much coffee at one stop.
He was the first to be really kind to me, it's kind of out of time with the story, but that's how memories work sometimes.

You know, I really like the new plastic coated ballards. They won't rust or scratch your bike...

Name:  IMG_3470_zpsw4nv9x8l.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  107.3 KB

The night wasn't getting any younger but I had passed DC. A truly majestic site, passing on the highway with no traffic was a pleasure! I got to see a beautiful skyline with the Washington Monument standing center stage at 70 mph!
On the previous trip, I had left NH, stayed the first night in Boston, then left from there. I had made it from Boston to the Welcome Center/rest area in NC on that trip.
I had made that my goal from NH this time, only 150 miles more, but that was a lot closer to 1000 miles/24 hours than the previous trip. An IBA sticker has tantalized me, more a curiosity of "can I do it" than something I "need" to do.
I'm going to say here, I am fine with only 900 miles in a day before sleeping. I think with a bigger more powerful bike, 1000m/24hr would be easy, my respect to the few that did it on the KLX.

Back to the "No Kickstand Tour"...

Buildings are the most sturdy support for a bike and gas stations rarely do much with the backside of the building...

Name:  IMG_3471_zpszdytayn7.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  112.4 KB

I was now in VA and the mile markers started at 180 or so...I knew it would be pushing it to make it all the way to NC. It was then I decided to sleep for a while, then get back on the road before daylight. Finally coming across a rest area, I pulled off the road. I found an out of the way empty lot and leaned the bike against an old school, cast iron lamp post. After using the facilities, having some chow, and checking messages, I decided to crash on one of the rest area's fine bird crap coated, concrete picnic tables(I cleaned it first). I reinserted my earplugs, pulled my ski hat down over my eyes, an passed out...for 20 minutes, until I heard an attendee saying,"Sir, Sir? Excuse me sir?"
I sat up with a "Huh?"
You can't sleep here and my boss will freak if he sees your bike leaned against the lamp post.
Yup, that's right, VA is for lovers, but not for bone tired motorcyclists that need some rest a 3:30 in the morning!
In a fit of anger, which kept me wide awake until NC(!), I made use of my new knobbies...I may have cut across an area prepped for new lawn and left a trough because I was so tired I didn't notice I was at full throttle in the dirt.

As dawn approached, I hit NC and my favorite rest area. It has covered picnic tables that they let you sleep on, they also make good shelter for the bike, and a good impromptu kickstand!

Name:  IMG_3472_zpstv8rlj9k.jpg
Size:  113.7 KB

I grabbed some shut eye having actually made the goal! Now if I could wake up soon enough and hit the road I would actually make 1000mi/24hr!
As life returned to normal for the rest of the world, the noise and movement woke me. 7AM...9AM-7AM 900mi and a few hours sleep...2hrs to do 100mi! And then it started raining, and then pouring! Oh well.
After a bit of breakfast, coffee, and stretching I was dying to go, but the rain continued.
In a break in the rain, I decided to go for it. I had a good windshield and my gear had been freshly washed and treated with waterproofer.

A ways down the road, Mother Nature let loose, but also provided a good kickstand alternative...

Name:  IMG_3475_zpsgk2m0zbt.jpg
Size:  103.9 KB

Finally around noon, the weather cleared as I got to this magical kickstand substitute. I disregarded the No Parking signs and checked out the Army's new Deuce and 1/2 replacement.

Name:  IMG_3478_zpszulrs1qg.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  115.2 KB

Finally! 60ºF! I started ripping layers off. I hadn't really removed any layers since leaving the north. Now soaking wet, I reveled in removing layers. I took so long the Army had already moved out by the time I was ready to go. A few minutes later, a SC state trooper pulled up and asked why I was leaned against the sign. After a brief explanation which included holding up my kickstand, he said,"Carry on."

I was so close, but still at least 150 miles out. I know the way once I get off 95S. The last stretch would prove the most challenging...
The rest tomorrow. I'm still behind in the sleep department.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Folly Beach is cool. Spent nearly a year in Charleston. Is Planet Follywood still in business? Great burgers....

Old 04-08-2015, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Got lost in your story. How many hours total have you been traveling man? Looks like it has been a very tiring but fun trip so far.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

@2veedubs - Planet Follywood is still there. I'm more of a Taco Boy fan.
I've been back a week...but it feels like I just got off the bike...straight back to working OT, followed by a weekend of working a Fat Bike Festival (staying in a 90º room followed by standing out in the rain and snow all day, fun stuff), I need 2 days off.
Trip down was 24+hrs, about 20hrs moving time.
More of the story tonight after work.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

As I said, I know the way but to Charleston, not Folly Beach, which is on James Island not far away. Approaching Charleston I had my phone off because the battery was dying, but now I needed to check messages and use the power sucking map app. As it turned out, I arrived in heavy traffic and got blocked into going the wrong way. Now I have a good sense of direction, but I just went around 2 cloverleafs exit ramps on a gray day and had no clue, so I stopped to check the phone which died. Following my instinct, I headed into Charleston traffic heading for the beach, I hoped. A couple of lights later, I see a moto-cop sitting in a parking lot...I pull in, right up to him, and he smiles and asks what's up?
I have reached the South, home of hospitality and manners.
I ask directions to Folly Beach, which he gives me and the straightest way possible too. 5 blocks later, I was charging to the beach just a few miles away!
I knew the address but I didn't know where the right street was. Again, I stopped and asked directions by waving to a car and pulling up to them. An action up here which would be completely ignored as if I was crazy but the driver just smiled and told me exactly and simply how to get there.
I had finally arrived at the address, but I didn't see anyone and didn't know where to park! I just sat there for a few minutes, laughing to myself, I had made it but couldn't get off the bike. I finally decided to ride into the side yard where I found a palm tree or something to lean against.
I saw my brother first. He said, "You have twenty minutes to shower and dress for dinner. We're going to the beach for photos." I hugged a bunch of people as they filed out. Met a few as well.
As they trotted off to the beach I hit the outside shower and turned it on. Then I went to the bike and reached into my saddlebag for clothes. I grabbed a silk weight synthetic shirt, yanked, and was denied. It was stuck! Oh no, I melted the plastic garbage bag liner! Wait a minute, I melted the saddlebag too! Holy crap! I really melted all of it!

Name:  IMG_3534_zpslnp7ambd.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  121.2 KB

Well, the clock was ticking and I had to get moving. Fortunately, I only really lost 2 poly shirts. The luggage was still usable it seemed as I stripped the bike and put everything inside. Oh crap! The shower is running! Grabbed a towel and soap and ran out and used more than half my 20min soaking in the hot water.
The crew returned as I was getting dressed. As I walked out of my room I finally got a chance to breathe as my sis-in-law's cousin handed me a beer and gave me a huge hug.
Craziness ensued that night. I somehow managed to make it through a fantastic dinner at Husk (check out the menu, it changes daily, it ain't cheap, but it's worth it) and drinks on a roof top bar without falling asleep.
So after some 40 hours of being awake, I was lead to my bed and passed out for 8 hours. My internal clock just won't let me sleep through too much daylight, even with a mask over my eyes.
It was Friday morning. I felt like Thursday just never existed since I never really slept on Wednesday night, and it bled right through into Thrusday. I was a little disoriented, but jumped at the chance to hang out and run errands with my brothers wife. We are like long lost siblings...it's like we've always known each other. She was/is the force that brought all 20 of us to vacation together again. While we were out and about her cousin calls and says he found a local welder!
Upon returning to the house, Bob gives me the guys card. I ask how he got the guys card. He then tells me he asked at a store and the clerk just knew of a guy around the corner, so he stopped in and talked to him and got his card.
It was 2:30 on a Friday! I thought,"Oh crap! He probably works 6-2 or 7-3, if I'm lucky!"
I called and left a message and headed out on the bike towards his shop in the hope he'd still be there! Two block later the phone rings and I can't pull over an get my helmet and gloves off fast enough!
Crap! I missed his call!
I call him right back, he answers and says head on over. Woohoo!! I'll have a kickstand again!
I found his shop pretty easily. It had some tell-tale signs of metal work.

Name:  IMG_3494_zpszh60znka.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  154.2 KB

30 minutes later, he had welded it and we put it on and even got the spring on with no drama. A couple of tries of the kickstand to make sure it was in relatively the same position and I was very happy.
Then I asked James (owner of Pirate Forge, James Island, SC) how much?
His reply was $10!!! Sold!
I owe him much thanks. In fact, he's a fellow rider and was very happy to help me out. I am in his debt. I'll just have to pay it forward.
So I happily returned to the house and parked!

Name:  IMG_3496_zps7no3h4br.jpg
Size:  177.6 KB

I was then free to enjoy hanging out and doing touristy things with all my friends and family. Like going to see the "Angel Oak", which is something like 1400yrs old!

Name:  IMG_3481_zpscmgdvgcr.jpg
Size:  173.6 KB

Saturday we ran a 10K...
Cooper River Bridge Run | The Cooper River Bridge Run provides a world-class 10-K foot race. The race promotes continuous physical activity and a healthy lifestyle through education and opportunity.

I use the word ran loosely. After a tough winter of cold and snow, I had snowshoed twice as far as I had run in the 2 months preceding the race...not good for moving at a reasonable running pace. And then if I think about the days previous to the run...I'm pretty satisfied with my time of very f'in slow. I beat 25,000 of the 40,000 entrants with almost no training, other than my active lifestyle.
We were up way before dawn to catch a ferry, then a bus, and then a long walk to the start line for 8AM. At least I had the lack of sleep thing down at this point.

Even though the 10K was "our reason" for assembling in Folly Beach. I came for two reasons. 1) to spend time with my sis-in-law's cousin and 2) a way more important family reason - my cute little niece! This is the cute one after she's seen the picture I just took. In the picture you can see her realize she just got photobombed by Elmo.

Name:  IMG_3505_zpsjufyis56.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  95.9 KB

Well, the time down there was too short and way too much fun!
As I was packing, I contemplated putting my saddlebags in boxes and sending them home. Then I saw the recycling pile and the perfect impromptu KLR style heatshield, a turkey roasting pan. I folded it up and jammed it up between the plastic and the muffler.

Crappy photo but you'll get the idea.
Name:  IMG_3532_zpsquv6f9gl.jpg
Size:  122.7 KB
And with that, I was off on the return trip.

It was mostly incident free...
Somewhere in New Jersey I lost something...

Name:  IMG_3516_zpsemhogyxw.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  115.3 KB

I noticed my burned pants first, then the lack of heat shield. In fact the rear weld had already broken and the long term, high frequency vibes must have just been too much for the other two welds to hang on.
Using my KLR style highway pegs, after the loss of the heat shield, was what melted my pants. Oh well.
The return trip was much faster and easier. I wonder why?
Name:  IMG_3514_zpstdjbk0l9.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  96.6 KB

A quick stop in Boston to see a friends gig and a get a good night's sleep.
Name:  IMG_3520_zpsrgrsfnmu.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  136.8 KB

And then I was home! An epic trip that lasted 6 days, but the 2500 miles were covered in 54hrs of travel time. 28hrs on the front and 26hrs on the back end.
I parked the bike and took the car to go pick up my dog. Took the car to work the next day and when I came home a reminder of why I went south in the first place.

Name:  IMG_3552_zpsjshec0gf.jpg
Size:  135.0 KB

Final thoughts
Average moving speed - 64mph
Top speed - 78mph (GPS measured)
Worst MPG - 38, WOT into a headwind
Best MPG - 47, cruising at 65mph @7300rpm(I think)
Glowing header? - not this time, jetting cured that, last trip it was pink
Oil misted into the air box or burned, yet to be determined - 3/4qt Oily film on the right rear turn signal has me worried. Might be big bore time.
Mechanicals - 0
Dirt ridden - 1 10 mile section of sticky nasty dirt/mud road, super fun but had to turn around before it got really wet and nasty as I was fully loaded. That little bit of dirt really was a tease. It'll be months here before I can hit the trails.
Never a fun time slabbing on a KLX, but it can do it.
Mileage now on bike - 39,XXX.
Thanks for tuning in.

Last edited by MaximusPrime; 04-09-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

You've proven the KLX to be a worthy machine.
And you're quite the MC animal

BTW "Crappy photo but you'll get the idea.
[IMG]http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q789/ben_potter1
/IMG_3532_zpsquv6f9gl.jpg[/IMG]" goes to ERROR.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I fixed it.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Really enjoyed the read. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's my take-away: "blah blah blah I lost parts, burned things, got to see my wonderful and enchanting niece, saw warm weather, came home to cold weather, blah blah blah ***I HAVE ALMOST FORTY THOUSAND MILES ON MY DUAL SPORT.***"

Awesome write up, great pics. Loved the story.

Quick Reply: Return to Folly Beach, SC...2 years later...aka "The No Kickstand Tour"