Rear rack...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear rack...

I've wanted a rear rack for quite some time and have been doing my homework. I think I've settled on the PM Racks Rear XL, it says its compatible with the factory tool kit but looking at the photos and how it mounts it looks like it won't work right. Anyone run the rear rack with the factory tool bag?

Old 08-25-2015, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Where did you see mention that it's compatible? Here's a snip from the website... Doesn't look compatible (my regular size isn't). But it's a good rack.

Attached Thumbnails Rear rack...-rack.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Call me crazy but its right frigg'n there man...? Reading the words and then looking at the pic is going to drive me nuts. I would like it to work and I'm sure I could make it work but I'd prefer to leave the tool bag exactly where it is...maybe I should just go to bed before I freak out.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I missed that. You're correct but I just don't see how they make that claim... Curious.

And as an aside, the pics show the other two holes being "plugged". My rack didn't come with plugs (of any color) and I have yet to find matching Kawasaki green plugs to fill the unsightly holes.

Last edited by klx-vn; 08-25-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.ecwi...3/29806634.jpg This one has provisions for mounting the toolkit. Its from Nomadic Racks http://www.nomadic-racks.com/index.p...ategory=976082

Last edited by klxnoobie; 08-25-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default plugs

Originally Posted by klx-vn
I missed that. You're correct but I just don't see how they make that claim... Curious.

And as an aside, the pics show the other two holes being "plugged". My rack didn't come with plugs (of any color) and I have yet to find matching Kawasaki green plugs to fill the unsightly holes.

I know what you mean, I just put the smalls bolts for the tool bag, back in place. You can't even tell what was there before, I just reused the bolts instead of plugs. plus they're shiny. ahha.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default it doesnt

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
I've wanted a rear rack for quite some time and have been doing my homework. I think I've settled on the PM Racks Rear XL, it says its compatible with the factory tool kit but looking at the photos and how it mounts it looks like it won't work right. Anyone run the rear rack with the factory tool bag?
it actually doesn't, on the small rack that is,, I tried to mount the factory 'tool bag case' on a small PMR rack (I have one also), even without the sissy bar the holes don't line up. Maybe if you just used two bolts it would.

I don't think there is much difference in the description between the two, one being a bit wider, you could strap more stuff on it.

I have some rok-straps I got from ebay, and a 32 liter seal line water proof bag, that I strap in front of my duffel bag when I need more room to carry stuff.

about the tool bag case? I said forget it, I have a tourmaster saddle bag/duffel bag, in that I just threw the tool pack inside , it wasn't a whole bunch of tools, but everything you need for the bike to remove plastics, brakes lines, spark plug, battery, water pump drain plug, oil filter cover, etc. so I just kept the tool bag pouch, in the duffel bag.

the PMR rack is drilled for a GIVI hardcase, and/ or a rotopax fuel pack

Last edited by KLX25O; 08-25-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

79 bucks isn't bad, FYI if you go on the Amazon app and search KLX250S rear rack that same rack comes up with the same Nomadic pics for a sale price of 119.

Any thoughts on a wider rack like happy trails or moose racing?

Old 08-25-2015, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have my tool kit mounted under my Pro Moto rack.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...toolkit-37411/

Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I just mounted the tool kit a bit 'forward' - I moved the kit forward until the rear holes in the toolbag were over the 'front' holes in the fender and mounted it there. the front of the toolbag sits on top of the very rear portion of the seat. I don't currently have the PMR rack on (only use it for longer trips) and just have a small (1152?) pelican case mounted back there, with my tools etc. inside. If I get back into longer 'dual sport' rides (instead of the shorter technical woods rides, where I want to save weight by not having the rack installed), I'll put the rack back on.

Quick Reply: Rear rack...