Rattling noise when going to 1st gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rattling noise when going to 1st gear?

So i have yet another question for you guys, well actually i have a lot but i decided to shoot one or a couple at a time so i dont seem buggy. Anyways i think ive mentioned something about this on another post, i think it was the engine heat one. Thing is that when im riding going about 25mph or so and i see that i have to come to a complete stop i usually try to switch all the way down to first and let momentum take me to the stop (obviously doing this while holding the clutch the whole time). Sometimes tho when i try to get it from second to first the gear lever rattles and kicks back to neutral. When im at a complete stop it engages fine without a problem. What causes this? is it me trying to switch to first while going too fast? Does anyone else have this problem? Hope its nothing serious

~Thank You, Virus

Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, make sure you're not trying to shift down into 1st too soon. Also, I generally shift down and let the clutch out for each gear to help with slowing the bike down, but also to ensure that I'm 'ready to do' if I need to escape from a car that's going to rear-end me or something. You're best off not just pulling in the clutch and just downshifting through all the gears down to 1st. I usually don't shift into 1st until I'm almost at a complete stop.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never had issues with a rattle as you describe. At time's it can be tricky to get it into first though.

The rattle sound you describes would seem to indicate a worn shift star - A part which is known to be trouble on these bikes. I think most commonly the star is broken after a wipe-out or excessive force on the shifter mechanism.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the star can chime in.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the gear dogs are hitting, aka you're "raking the gears", downshifting at too high a speed for the gears to mesh easily and likely you're doing it too slow. When you use the shift lever USE it, don't lightly pull up or push down.

Gong from second to first has a bit more of a gap in the gear box because it has the neutral detent between the gears and probably a bit more clearance on the dogs so it will clear relatively easily. To shift past this detent in ether direction requires a firmer pull or push on the lever. It's also the reason why it seems it is easier to miss a second gear shift than any other.

Try shifting a bit closer to a stop and do it with a positive step on the lever.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I seriously hope its not the gear star thing, i will most definitely try to shift between the first two gears with more power. Ill also try to stop the bad habit of going down to first. You made a good point on escaping a rear end, especially here in florida with all these tourist and dumb drivers. Thanks guys much appreciated!