Push starting a bike?(short story)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile Push starting a bike?(short story)

So i washed my bike yesterday and apparently i had left the keys on the setting "ON" instead of off or locked. I did not notice this until later that day when i tried to start the bike. It just wouldn't fire up, i was pissed/mad at myself thinking i had gotten some of the important cables wet or a special part wet, even tho i only used a garden hose. So when i tried to start it up it seemed like it wanted to but then it'd die down and some sort of clicking noise would begin at the right side of the bike (im guessing that was the starter?). I checked everything even the battery and it was all dry. So my mechanic friend (which only works on cars but has way better understanding with motors etc. than i do) decided to come over and check it out. We used a reader and my battery was only at 6 volts, so about half of what it should be. He suggested to push start, i looked up some instructions on how to do it. We both honestly did not expect it to work, he pushed me from inside my garage down my driveway which has a bit of a downward angle. The thing fired up right away and i was the happiest man alive at the moment haha! Anyone else tried this? Btw i do not have kick start even tho i have the option for it. Here are the instructions we used How to Push Start a Motorcycle: 6 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 06-15-2015, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Push starting is a valuable skill for anyone riding off road. Particularly on these bikes with no kick starter.

It's harder on dirt than on a driveway because your tire will often slide instead of gripping and forcing the motor to turn over.

Every time you need to push start your bike remember to check these things first:

1) The fuel petcock is turned ON or to RESERVE so you're getting fuel
2) the kill switch is toggled to the RUN position
3) your key is on the ON position
4) Make sure you're in 2nd or 3rd gear when you let that clutch out and be ready to pull it in as soon as the bike fires up.

Because you can run out of room quickly and you can expend a LOT of energy going for a running start, you want to make sure you get it right the first time. Luckily our bikes are actually REALLY easy to push around while in gear with the clutch in. Most MX bikes have a lot of resistance if they are in gear, even when the clutch is in all the way.

You should consider getting a battery charger or tender on that battery. Running them down like that isn't good for their health.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'd add "engage the choke" if the motor is stone cold, which it likely is...and be ready to manipulate the choke a bit so it doesn't kill the motor with richness. If you have a pumper carb, you can often start a cold motor with just the throttle but be careful not to flood it. The choke is a safer bet...usually.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Get a battery maintainer, best investment ever for a bike. I'm still on the original battery from November of 05.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Get a battery maintainer, best investment ever for a bike. I'm still on the original battery from November of 05.
Well, of course, deej, but when you step out of the camper in the morning in southern Utah with no other human beings around and no electricity...and some dork left the key on while doing some post ride service to prepare for the next day...bump start or some homemade bike-friendly jumper cables are about the only thing that will get you going.

But seriously, I'd highly recommend the set of store-bought or homemade motorcycle applicable jumper cables. Don't try to use automotive size cables. They'll work, but they're tricky to manipulate on many bike battery locations...though the KLX has one of the easiest to reach batteries out there.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 06-16-2015, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Lol..

With 4 guys you could push start the bike UP a hill. That didn't look very safe at all!

Old 06-16-2015, 05:32 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That's exciting enough trying to do that with smaller dirt bikes, but there was a vid over on ADV with some guys doing it with two KTM900 series bikes. Crazy.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Doesn't do much good when one either forgets and leaves the key on or runs the battery down for some reason. Then there are hard starting kick start bikes...

By the way, if you want the bump start to be easier or if doing a big single, while it is in gear pull backward until the piston backs up against compression. That gives a full revolution and about a half for the engine to rotate and gain momentum before hitting compression. If you're ever at a flat track event and see them have to bump off a bike that is what they do before pushing. If not done with the bigger singles they'll just slide the back tire even on pavement. I know, we had to bump start my 650 a number of times over the years when I either neglected the battery or had a bad plug (not enough juice to spark when cranking). Now it's a new plug every year and recharge battery when it seems a bit sluggish.

It's kind of like using a compression release to ease the piston of a big single over TDCC before kicking - as all riders who've started old singles that have manual compression release levers. Gets maximum rotation before hitting compression to try to fire up.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
Lol..

With 4 guys you could push start the bike UP a hill. That didn't look very safe at all!

Not a loaded up two stroke as that one appeared to be. Otherwise it would have fired much faster. Then there are those places where bumping off just may not be that possible.

Actually the only real danger is if the riders on either bike don't have the clutch lever well covered in case the bike drops to the ground and catches a bit of traction.

The hardest part I see is dealing with bikes without side stands and the one bike that will be on the "off side" not able to be leaned on the stand.

One other way is a tow rope to pull start the bike. The rope is wrapped around the bar and held on the trailing bike, so the rider can let go when necessary, The lead rider will have to be careful having the rope tied high on the frame and stop as soon as possible to reduce the chance of catching the rope when released.

Sure, there is some danger, but not as much as you might think when the riders are experienced with that sort of thing. Be around off roading enough and you WILL get the experience. I had a master link go adrift, jamming the chain, but the back wheel rolled freely. My buddy pulled me out by putting his coat on one arm and I held the other. Wasn't easy, he was riding a 1970 Penton 125 with mediocre low/mid jetting... it was 1971.

Last edited by klx678; 06-16-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Push starting a bike?(short story)