Problem Fitting UFO Fork Guards

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Problem Fitting UFO Fork Guards

I ordered some UFO fork guards to replace the stock one that I busted in a foray through some aspen trees. Based on info on this forum I ordered ones that fit a KX 125/250 with the slider. From the posts I read it sounded like at most I'd have to drill a new mounting hole but now I'm wondering how the devil to mount them, specifically the left fork. They don't appear to work at all with the brake line. Can't go under it, can't go over it. Am I missing something? Did I get the wrong model? I'd appreciate some advice. And mine's an '07. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry Got not nothing for ya.
hang in there I know someone can help.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

What year guards did you order? I got the 96 kx250 ones, drilled a few new holes and trimmed a bit of the side and they work well. More modification than I was expecting, though. Supposedly 93(?)-94 are a direct bolt on, 95-98(?) require some customization, I haven't heard about the rest of the years. I didn't get the 94 models because they cost a fair amount more than the next gen.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the '04-'06. I can see where a few holes might need to be drilled but what the heck did you do with the front brake line that runs down the front of the left fork leg? Did it go under the new guard? Doesn't seem like there would be room. Or did it go on the outside, in which case it wouldn't be protected. Is that a big deal, protecting the brake line?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I'm not sure how the 04-06 ones differ from mine, but my brake line went in front of the guard. The line has the stock plastic like covering on it, but no other protection coming from the guard. I'm not as concerned about that part of the brake line as I am with the under the caliper routing further down (07 model). The guard slider on mine also has a mount for the brake line to go through... not sure if yours does.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the problem. The bottom of the guard doesn't fit under the brake line juncture, forcing the brake line to bend out. Not good:

Plus it leaves the brake line exposed. So I wouldn't call this '04-'06 UFO fork guard a viable aftermarket option for this bike, unless someone has a creative fix for this issue.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, those are definitely shaped differently than mine. I'd say maybe just dremel a cut out in the guard for the line to fit into at the bottom. Not ideal, but would work. You could also just order new guards

Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

If you decide to go with a different guard, let me know if you want to sell them.

I got a buddy who does composites work on aircraft and I know he could make a nice CF brake line guard on it.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I think I'm going to order some new ones. Crash, you say you think the '93/'94 are a direct fit? OEM cycles has them for '91-'93 or '94-'95. Which do you think would work best?

Cousin Larry - I think I'll hang on to the current set for now. I may butcher one of them to make a brake line guard. Thanks for the offer though.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I wanna say I've heard the 94 are pretty much exact, but I'm not 100%. There was a thread on thumpertalk that had all the info, but I can't find it anymore. I'd say get the 94-95, even if they are the same as my 96 they work very well with some modification. Check out the UFO ones too.

Quick Reply: Problem Fitting UFO Fork Guards