Noisy DG muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Noisy DG muffler

In the ever ongoing quest to gain more performance I installed a DG muffler. As most know a DG muffler doesn't muffle very well at all.
So tonight I decided to do something about it, I disassembled the muffler, and took the perforated core out.
I cut a series of slots in the core and then dented down the rear side of the slots to catch the sound waves, kind of a scoop, facing the engine side of the muffler.
I cut the slots about a half inch long, in five rows about an inch and a quarter between the slots. I could've taken a picture but it would've been hard to see it in the picture anyway.

A very noticeable reduction in noise, it certainly is not quiet like the stock muffler, but very noticeably quieter and the bike doesn't seem to be any slower.

Just food for thought.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice, I ordered up a different insert for my FMF. I'm thinking if it doesn't work out to my liking I might modify it too. I'm kind of surprised with so many street legal bikes that a company doesn't offer a slightly more thumpy than stock muffler. Its kind of funny how many people try and quiet up their aftermarket exhaust if you just google it.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont remember if it was for the dg pipe
but someone here used this baffle inside

and there may have been 2 different sizes posted I saved all the websites
figure you could search here with these names and maybe find out the correct size used

Amazon.com: Khrome Werks HP-Plus Exhaust Pipe Baffle - Fits 2in. O.D. Pipes 202030: Automotive

Khrome Werks HP-PLUS® EXHAUST PIPE BAFFLE from RJ SPORT & CYCLE

Khrome Werks HP-PLUS® EXHAUST PIPE BAFFLE from RJ SPORT & CYCLE

Old 06-11-2015, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

You got one of the loudest aftermarket pipes. Even the quiet fmf q4 is pretty loud compared to stock. I like what you did turning the core into a baffle of sorts. You could also try to weld a washer with a slightly smaller hole into the muffler to tone it down.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought one of the dg silencer inserts around $40
it does tone it down a little, but you loose all the bass
and mine rattled inside at idle, I think I made a shim using piece of copper wire to fill in the gap
later when I got the clone bomb header pipe it actually reduced the DB some more
so I left out the silencer because I liked the bass it makes with it out

the silencer tip is cheap and could be made easily if you have a welder
I was going to mod it, add a long pipe with holes but since it fit loose I didnt want to mess with it

I did quite a few sound tests when I got mine in this thread
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...install-42509/

and I did order this insert
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

should just slip in, may need to trim the length a little
will use those sound levels I had from before and compare

I also have a yoshimura silencer tip that almost fits
I would need to die grind away like 3mm I would do that on the dg exhaust outlet side

then the yoshi silencer has a welded pipe with holes but at a 45 degree angle
so that would need to be cut and welded on straight

but since that silencer is for another exhaust I wanted to either save it, or sell it since its brand new unused

if I force it to fit the dg it will get scratched,and of course weld it then probably wont ever be able to sell or use it

I did hold it on as tight as I could, took away some bass and some loudness

Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

How's that Chinese bomb header clone holding up? Any issues, cracking or leaks? I'm thinking about ordering one to use with my Q4.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

no issues yet
but a while ago I noticed the rear flip up peg was rubbing on it
so I ground away enough of the peg to clear

but if I flip down the peg to use it, it will hit the pipe
since I dont plan on ever using the pegs not a big deal

Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm, slightly annoying but no biggie. Looks like stainless steel to me and tig welded...guess it can't be that bad. I found a few FMF ones for 155ish but they wont ship to CA, I could ship it to NV then have my dad ship it to me but thats annoying too. I think I'll try this chinese one out, luckily they have some in stock other wise it ships directly from the "manufactory", lol.

Stainless Header Exhaust Head Pipe for Kawasaki KLX250S KLX250SF 2006 2013 07 13 | eBay

Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

that was my problem
I pay over $450 for full setup off ebay, FMF
then find out the ebay store dropships, and FMF wont mail it to me
or anyone in Ca with a dual sport because of the chance it could be used on the street

So since I was already in the mood for a exhaust and header I found the DG that gladly shipped to Ca

If you saw my thread on the clone header it is too large to fit snugly over the DG as I guess if it was a clone of the FMF it was made larger
but I had an easy fix
I do have one streak of soot from the slits I made but thats not too bad
ive seen worse on slip fittings on other exhausts

Unless there is a sealant I could use, if there is maybe someone can post a brand to try
im willing to put that in between and tighten

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Hmm, slightly annoying but no biggie. Looks like stainless steel to me and tig welded...guess it can't be that bad. I found a few FMF ones for 155ish but they wont ship to CA, I could ship it to NV then have my dad ship it to me but thats annoying too. I think I'll try this chinese one out, luckily they have some in stock other wise it ships directly from the "manufactory", lol.

Stainless Header Exhaust Head Pipe for Kawasaki KLX250S KLX250SF 2006 2013 07 13 | eBay

Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

When I installed my Q4 slip on to the stock header I used this high temp exhaust sealant from Permatex, it has copper in it and has an orange tint. It's in a metal tube and it squeezes out just like gasket maker. I just did my exhaust after work and let it dry over night, that way there was no chance of blowing out the sealant if there was a leak.

I'm ordering the header now, screw it. Says it should be here sometime next week. I'm hoarding parts and plan on giving my bike a make over while the suspension gets done.

Quick Reply: Noisy DG muffler