Making TM36-68 richer

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

My stock KLX250S will make the header orange at night when riding slow through the woods in 1st and second gear revving it up on the trails.

It is 100% stock. Snorkel in place, stock exhaust, and stock jetting.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toomanytoys84
My stock KLX250S will make the header orange at night when riding slow through the woods in 1st and second gear revving it up on the trails.

It is 100% stock. Snorkel in place, stock exhaust, and stock jetting.
Thanks! Makes me feel better that I'm not a one off.... how aBout idling for say 5 mins?

Old 11-25-2015, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Almost all single wall exhausts will glow red even orange if left sitting and idling for several minutes. Exhaust gasses are around 1300-1500 degrees, more than enough to get a good glow going. It only takes about 900° for steel to start to glow red. The cool air when riding will cool it below a glow.

I had a well jetted SR500 single glowing bright red in sub-freezing weather when I let it idle for about 8 minutes or so to warm up. Within less than a quarter block it was no longer glowing.

It isn't unusual and it is not a sign that the bike is running too hot. That is found with spark plug readings in absence of any sort of instrumentation for more accurate readings. Temperatures at the exhaust valve can be between 1200-1800°F. Plenty warm enough to create a glow on a steel pipe without any air circulation around it.
That's reassuring to know, thank you!

What about ceramic coatings? Do they help?

Old 11-25-2015, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Thanks! Makes me feel better that I'm not a one off.... how aBout idling for say 5 mins?
Never paid attention to it honestly. If I get it out again before spring I will let you know. Right now she is all pressure washed, cleaned and ready for a cold winter in the garage.

Different animal but my friends yfz450 atv would make the header glow noticeably during the day. That thing would get so friggin hot I thought my legs were going to catch on fire! We had it out one night drag racing against a friends 2014 RMZ250 and I was running the crap out of it. It shut down, I had no idea why I looked down and the header was glowing like crazy. Turns out it was out of gas, and I just didn't pay attention. But man what a scary sight.

Last edited by toomanytoys84; 11-25-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toomanytoys84
Never paid attention to it honestly. If I get it out again before spring I will let you know. Right now she is all pressure washed, cleaned and ready for a cold winter in the garage.
Boooooo! I'm holding out for a little more dirt before sleep time

Old 11-25-2015, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Boooooo! I'm holding out for a little more dirt before sleep time

haha. Right now it's SXS only time for me. RZR 900 with a soft cab and a heater makes this wimpy guy happy.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

It'll glow red. Like I said, I let my SR idle for about 8 minutes or so in SUB-freezing temps and got a bright red glow. Street bikes don't show this due to either heat shields covering the pipe or double wall pipes. Double wall will not usually blue unless the rider lets the bike sit and idle for prolonged periods.

Ceramic coating keeps the heat in the pipe and the ceramic will not glow. I have ceramic coating on the KLX650 pipe. It doesn't radiate heat as much - thus it is keeping it in the pipe. Heat keeps the velocity up on the exhaust gasses and that is good for performance, extracting exhaust from the cylinder better - learned that from muscle car and racing stuff I've read over the years.

Really nice part about ceramic coating - no maintenance. It may get a bit dull from the heat on the head pipe, but no rust or corrosion.

Last edited by klx678; 11-25-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

So...... The more I delve into the wonderful world of carburetors, the less **** makes sense lol...

If I understand correctly, and quite possibly I'm out to lunch and fully expecting to get called on it, one jet will not necessarily richen a carb, I'd need to swap out all the jets, as they all act on different areas of operation...but some say swap 1 jet at a time... Pain in the *** to remove/reinstall the carb multiple times tho.

Now, apparently, I can introduce less air (lid on, snorkel off) by covering part of the intake, but that seems kinda sketchy. How much do I cover without really screwing stuff up?

Anyways, still banging away at this slowly.... Almost time to put her to sleep for the winter, so kinda taking my time.....

Old 11-29-2015, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Before you go and cover (restrict) the intake, keep in mind why you went to the big bore and 36mm carb..............to move more air/fuel into the cylinder!

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-29-2015, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Before you go and cover (restrict) the intake, keep in mind why you went to the big bore and 36mm carb..............to move more air/fuel into the cylinder!

Ride on
Brewster

Yup, my thoughts exactly, just trying to see if a richer mixture will result in cool runnings (lol, get it, the movie???)

Quick Reply: Making TM36-68 richer