Lots of firsts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
Might be worthwhile picking up a couple of Brake Saver cables (similar to these:- DRC PRODUCTS -). They are a cable that goes from the brake pedal or shift lever to the frame or skid plate and keep the lever from getting too bent up when you crash. My son bent he shift 90 degrees to the side in one crash once - I very soon after put the saver cables on his bike as well.

Not entirely the main purpose of the cable, but you can see how it worked in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUomXH93dI The shift lever came right of the splined shaft - bolt was still there etc. It went back on easily. The saver cable may have saved me from walking back through the trail looking for my shift lever...
Not so sure they're strong enough to do that. The main reason for them is to keep brush and sticks from jamming between cases and pedals. It was a common trick on bikes back in the 70s for harescramblers and enduro riders.

A good biff may probably fold something up anyway, but who knows. Saving the shift lever is a good deal though.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mightythree
Skill.. where can I buy some of that?

This is my first bike and I definitely have learned that its not the ideal 80/20 commuter that I had in mind. And I'm definitely thinking of purchasing another set of wheels and tires to have the motard setup and make it a bit more commuter worthy than the stock setup. I'm lost on the comment about the tires though. Why would you say that the stock Dunlop's aren't beginner friendly? Are they too aggressive and knobby for offroading as a newbie?
Ok, let me be clear (presidentoftheunitedstateseveryspeech)

Put these on, front and rear. The bike will be surefooted enough, offroad, to allow you to acquire skills instead of a wheelchair/hospiltal bed/bandaids all over/skinny wallet/ingrown toenails/ugly girlfriends...
Kenda K760 Trackbastard II

BTW, you'll have to "calm down" on the street with those Kendas..

Last edited by Klxster; 07-29-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Ok, let me be clear (presidentoftheunitedstateseveryspeech)

Put these on, front and rear. The bike will be surefooted enough, offroad, to allow you to acquire skills instead of a wheelchair/hospiltal bed/bandaids all over/skinny wallet/ingrown toenails/ugly girlfriends...
Kenda K760 Trackbastard II

BTW, you'll have to "calm down" on the street with those Kendas..
Yup, have those same tires on my KLX. If you're going to do offroading (other than the occasional dirt/gravel road, and even there the stock Dunlops suck pretty badly), then get a set of these.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Not so sure they're strong enough to do that. The main reason for them is to keep brush and sticks from jamming between cases and pedals. It was a common trick on bikes back in the 70s for harescramblers and enduro riders.

A good biff may probably fold something up anyway, but who knows. Saving the shift lever is a good deal though.
I think it depends on the severity of the impact. I've hit a lot of stuff and haven't had any bent shifter/brake levers, whereas between me and my son, before the savers, we'd each had at least one bent. I agree that a hit that's hard enough to bend the shift lever 90 degrees that the saver cable might not (probably not) be strong enough to prevent that, but it might hold on long enough to reduce the damage/bending to the lever. They're only $5 each, so they're pretty cheap insurance.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

If you remove the shift lever to straighten it be sure to completely remove the bolt that secures it. It isn't obvious at first glance, but it rides in a slot in the shaft and the lever won't come off unless it is completely removed. good luck!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Good tip.
My shift lever would keep loosening on the shaft although the bolt was as tight as I dared to tighten it. I drilled out the threads and now use a bolt with a nylock nut. A bit fiddly to get together (bolt from the top) but the problem is solved.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
If you remove the shift lever to straighten it be sure to completely remove the bolt that secures it. It isn't obvious at first glance, but it rides in a slot in the shaft and the lever won't come off unless it is completely removed. good luck!
You'll see in my video posted that my shift lever came off, after a light fall, with the bolt still in and secure - it went right past the slot in the splines. Only time I've had it fall off and seems secure otherwise. Glad I've got the shift save cable, though.

But, yes, normally you have to take the bolt right out before the lever will come off.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
You'll see in my video posted that my shift lever came off, after a light fall, with the bolt still in and secure - it went right past the slot in the splines.
Obviously the shift lever did not agree that it was a LIGHT fall!

I have the bolt tight, the shifter is lose on the shaft, I don't see that as a problem. If I have a LIGHT fall, just gives it a little more room to move rather than transmit the full blow to the shift shaft. Just say'in.