Looking for a low buck dual sport jacket? Check this out

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Looking for a low buck dual sport jacket? Check this out

I just went to Iron Pony and bought two of these:

MSR Alterra
for $99.99. Black is available too for the same price.

The sizing is fairly true. I am a 42 chest (and waist unfortunately) and a Large fit fine. Decent sleeve length, a fair number of vents, waterproof, sealed waterproof zippers on the vents, armor that is removeable, all in all a darn good deal at a C note. I wish it had a zip in liner, but again, for a C note.

The MSR Alterra jacket is our top of the line off road riding jacket. Built with every feature you'd ever want and tough enough for the abuse we know our riders put their gear through. Impacts, water, heat, abrasion and more are all addressed in this durable, great looking jacket.
• Dry-XC treated SnagResistant 600 Denier Nylon outer shell for water-proofing and breathability.
• 840 Denier Ballistic Nylon in high-wear areas.
• HYPERFLO ventilation system comprised of nine vents.
• Two upper and lower chest pockets with storm flaps, two lower side fleece lined, hand warmers and one oversized lower back pocket.
• Two inner pockets on right chest and two vertical pockets on left chest.
• Oversized, two-way main zipper with storm flap and rain gutter for dry, trouble-free function.
• FLASHLITE reflective panels, piping and printing for visibility under dim light conditions.
• Six cinch straps at sleeves and body to customize fit.
• D30 intelligent shock absorption armor in shoulders, elbows and back.
• Neoprene edge trim on collar and cuffs for comfort and to block wind.
• Lycra cuff extenders with built-in thumb retainer.
• Water-repellent premium YKK zippers.
• Internal elastic waist cinch design for a custom fit and heat lock.
• Closed cell foam chest shield included.

They have a more dirt oriented pair of JT jackets for $79.99 and $89.99. They look nice for pure off road with zip off sleeves, but the MSR coat is a serious dual sport adventure coat.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Mark for posting up the deals from Iron Pony. May give that a try.

$400 at revzilla. $99 is a steal.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I figured why not let you guys know of a good deal, especially when I can give a good clue on sizing. That is necessary on a clearance item since it cannot be returned. I should include I have about a 42 chest and unfortunately about a 42 waist too... I got two because I had a friend who wanted one since I lived here and he was coming down soon.

The Bike Bandit review from 2014 on line said the Alterra runs a shade large, but I'd say stay with normal size. If I wore a pressure suit with armor I would have considered the XL. Another from Adv Designs had good to say as well. I struggled with making the purchase because I know my wife is going to go off on another motorcycle jacket, but for a hundred bucks! I had to. I may pull the armor and wear it for a regular coat, it's waterproof and not too flashy in the forest green, so eventually I'll spring it on her.

I have scored so big at Iron Pony in the past several years I enjoy going and looking around. If anyone here is ever near Columbus Ohio, look up Iron Pony on Ohio SR3 and go look. It was a big box store at one time, now it is a "candy store" for motorcyclists of all types. Clearances can be incredibly good, other prices can be had about anywhere, including regular dealers.

Last edited by klx678; 04-11-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, thanks for the tip. A $400 dollar jacket for $100 is a great deal. The jacket shows good reviews and comes with D30 armour. I like the fact that the outer shell is waterproof. I do have Klim gear but wanted a cheaper jacket for "the bush". I would hate to rip open my $700 Klim.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I think they had matching pants around the same price, but they weren't clearance and I didn't need a pair so I didn't check too closely.

Your desire to preserve the high dollar coat is one reason I don't have a high dollar coat - or should I say I haven't paid big bucks for one for the same reason. I'd hate to tear up a $500 coat. Finding these kinds of deals avoids that urge to "save the good stuff".

Last edited by klx678; 04-12-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member

The Klim gear I have is used on my street bike. It's amazing gear and I feel it woth the money. I made the decision a couple of years ago to buy a really good jacket. I was tired of buying the cheaper stuff and discover the problems with it on longer trips, 14,000 kms being the longest. I bought a Klim Latitude jacket and was impressed with the performance and quality. Since them I now have two pair of their pants and a mesh jacket. Absolutely amazing gear. Now that I have the KLX and bombing around in the backwoods I'm always a little nevous about snagging the jacket of a tree branch. This is were the MSR will be put to use.

Do you have a link to the pants? I couldn't find it on their site.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for posting; just ordered one. Free shipping with $100 so throw a sticker or something in your cart too.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
Thanks for posting; just ordered one. Free shipping with $100 so throw a sticker or something in your cart too.
Never thought of the sticker idea. I paid $9 for shipping.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a $9 pair of closeout socks.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
The Klim gear I have is used on my street bike. It's amazing gear and I feel it woth the money. I made the decision a couple of years ago to buy a really good jacket. I was tired of buying the cheaper stuff and discover the problems with it on longer trips, 14,000 kms being the longest. I bought a Klim Latitude jacket and was impressed with the performance and quality. Since them I now have two pair of their pants and a mesh jacket. Absolutely amazing gear. Now that I have the KLX and bombing around in the backwoods I'm always a little nevous about snagging the jacket of a tree branch. This is were the MSR will be put to use.

Do you have a link to the pants? I couldn't find it on their site.
I didn't look super close, the sales kid (knowledgeable and no pressure) mentioned it. There were some MSR pants there. Might be worth a call if interested.

Quick Reply: Looking for a low buck dual sport jacket? Check this out