Kustom kraft 330 is finally coming together

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by timc63
Brilliant observation!

I guess my only concern about the validity of my/your "thumper feel" idea is that there are a lot of bigger thumpers out there.
What does a KLR650 feel like in comparison? I don't know. Hopefully those who have experience with KLRs, KLXs, and KLX BBs will chime in!

Thinking out loud,

TC
I have a KLR and can say it has a lot more vibration than the KLX in either 250 or 351 trim.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

How many others feel the BB klx's starts easier? My bike has always started well after a rejet but I got to say with the BB it's like fuel injection. I pull the choke (like on my FI bike) touch the magic button , instantly she running. Turn the choke off in 5 seconds and she idles with ease.

Same pilot jet, larger main with fuel screw just a 1/2 more from the 250 setting.

Crazy.... I love it!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by s10gto
How many others feel the BB klx's starts easier? My bike has always started well after a rejet but I got to say with the BB it's like fuel injection. I pull the choke (like on my FI bike) touch the magic button , instantly she running. Turn the choke off in 5 seconds and she idles with ease.

Same pilot jet, larger main with fuel screw just a 1/2 more from the 250 setting.

Crazy.... I love it!
Same with mine. Starts faster and comes off choke earlier.
Don't know why but I'll take it.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by canklx
Same with mine. Starts faster and comes off choke earlier.
Don't know why but I'll take it.
Heck ya! Had a good ride today. I should have big bored this baby last year. The Klx has always been my go to bike and now I just can't stay off her.

I think the other bikes may get jealous this year.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Has been pouring rain for days now. Hope to be able to ride to work tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by s10gto
Has been pouring rain for days now. Hope to be able to ride to work tomorrow.
I feel your pain! I have had mine back together for a couple months and only have about 250 miles on it due the Endless Winter we are having in NW Washington!

TC

Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Got my KK tracking numbers yesterday, kit should be here tomorrow!!

Debating what jetting to use.... searching the web, it seems almost as common that people report having to jet DOWN after going big bore, about the same report staying the same, and jetting up seems to be less common (based on my non scientific research at thumpertalk and advrider)

I am at 140/1N right now and loving it, i may keep that setup to start out with, if people are right in saying to jet downwards then I may be right where I want to be vs 144 being too rich.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Jetting down or staying "pat" with a huge increase in displacement has always sounded insane to me. Don't you have to throw logic and common sense out the door to think a significantly larger engine can be fueled properly with a "250cc" setup ?

Of course I have a real problem with unproven, untested, hearsay setups that promote and proliferate a flawed and erroneous "theory" on fueling.. Just because a bike "runs fine" and passes "dyno butt" testing does not prove a setup's effectiveness - yet that is exactly how crap setups and moronic setup ideas become the "norm" online..

I'll add to this cesspool..lol For the last few years, my '07 KLX300R "totally rips" with DJ146/1N Lidless, stock spring, drilled slide lift hole, Pbomb+Q4, Non-MCM (DJ2206 kit so it's using the DN0352 needle)... 1st and 2nd gear power only wheelies, 3rd gear power wheelies with a tug on the bar.. I can't prove effective fueling as I'm not going to install a "street" tire on the rear just to dyno test - So that makes my 300R setup just as credible as 99.9% of all the others..lol

Last edited by Klxster; 05-04-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Jetting down or staying "pat" with a huge increase in displacement has always sounded insane to me. Don't you have to throw logic and common sense out the door to think a significantly larger engine can be fueled properly with a "250cc" setup ?

Of course I have a real problem with unproven, untested, hearsay setups that promote and proliferate a flawed and erroneous "theory" on fueling.. Just because a bike "runs fine" and passes "dyno butt" testing does not prove a setup's effectiveness - yet that is exactly how crap setups and moronic setup ideas become the "norm" online..
Actually if you read at thumpertalk or advrider, there are multiple comments from people who actually did dyno testing which resulted in a main jet 1 or 2 sizes down from their pre-big bore setup, and even more who ended up the same.

I think its pretty silly to call that "crap" and "moronic". I wish we had dozens of AFR dynos of 330/351 kits to look at but we don't. I will be taking mine to a dyno when it gets broken in, maybe ill end up at a 160 for all i know, but a simple google would show you everything from Kawi's to CRF's to BMW's people ending up with smaller main jets, so you may want to keep an open mind, or not, its a free country

Old 05-05-2017, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you saying you found a post of a 330/351+CVK34+lidless airbox + performance exhaust system with HP, TRQ, and AFR charts? If so please share.. In the meantime, I'm researching it myself..

My opinion about fueling such bikes would change instantly with a peek at creditable data..

Obviously, your dyno testing will tell us how well your setup fuels a 330..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-05-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Kustom kraft 330 is finally coming together