klx mods? any worth doing???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Good for you...

For those with a sense of adventure, mechanically, realize for under a grand they can have some fun. Not too bad having the fun in hot rodding a vehicle. Kind of like why guys do up little four poppers to drag race in a class - kind of rewarding when they do good - key words they do good.

I'd take a Model A or deuce high boy with a tricked out engine (or some other sweet select hot rods I like) over a new Vette any day, doing work on the rod for myself due to the simplicity.

But for each their own.

I will say anyone who doesn't jet their carbureted KLX within a few weeks after buying it is out on both better performance and easier starting, not to mention less aggravation. The rest of it would be just for play and personal reward if someone wants to do so.

I agree. Got my 2011 klx250s for 3k. Add 1500$ of fun time (big bore, tm36-68, exhaust, etc) and I've got a killer machine that I made.

Built. Not bought

Old 10-19-2015, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Good for you...

For those with a sense of adventure, mechanically, realize for under a grand they can have some fun. Not too bad having the fun in hot rodding a vehicle. Kind of like why guys do up little four poppers to drag race in a class - kind of rewarding when they do good - key words they do good.

I'd take a Model A or deuce high boy with a tricked out engine (or some other sweet select hot rods I like) over a new Vette any day, doing work on the rod for myself due to the simplicity.

But for each their own.

I will say anyone who doesn't jet their carbureted KLX within a few weeks after buying it is out on both better performance and easier starting, not to mention less aggravation. The rest of it would be just for play and personal reward if someone wants to do so.
Quite right. There is considerable personal satisfaction in making something better, and over the years I have fiddled (occasionally successfully ) with performance mods on bikes and cars.

But in my dotage I'm much less inclined this way. I tend to put bikes in three categories nowadays, based on my experiences with different types. There are fast bikes like the Suzuki GSX1100G I had, and in retrospect the last thing that bike needed was more power. My declining reflexes were challenged enough by it in stock form -- 0-100 in under 8 seconds was good enough (though tragically slow by today's crotch rocket standards).

And then there is my current Suzuki DL650 V-Strom which will never be a hot rod, but is perfectly suitable as the Swiss Army knife of all-purpose scoots -- it does not need any improvements and would not benefit significantly from more power because its high-gas-mileage, middle-of-the-road performance suits its role and uses completely. I've farkled the hell out of it with practical additions for adventure touring but have not modded the engine at all, just an additional tooth on the countersprocket. Comfort and long-distance functionality are my goals with the Wee-Strom.

And then there is the KLX, which is not SUPPOSED to be fast or powerful, and for which mods to try to make it so represent an exercise in futility -- or the perhaps triumph of hope over reason. The best you can expect is to go from grossly underpowered to mostly underpowered. Whoopee!

But I understand the urge to do so. These are hobby machines, and if one gets fulfillment and satisfaction from fiddling with them...hey, that's the whole idea. In the end it's almost always cheaper just to buy the bike that gives you what you want in OEM trim, but what's the fun in that?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

If you can find a ready made bike that has the attributes of a built KLX250 let me know. The problem is that there are plenty of enduro race bikes with lights like the KTMs but I do not want the price or the maintenance of those bikes.

There's also lots of play bikes with the Honda CRF250L or the TTRs or whatever but there's not a lot that offers adult levels of power with Japanese reliability that doesn't weigh a ton. For me, the 06-07 KLX can't be beat.

Since the KLX wasn't ever a hard core racer or even dirt bike you can find pretty nice used bikes that have not been beat on for short money. the other thing is that you can add features as you go along, you don't have to lay out the whole nut in one shot.

My KLX is really built for the woods. In some real performance terms there's better bikes than mine for the woods, but none that offer the practicality, the durability and the dependability of the platform is too good to pass up.

This forum also has pretty much anything you'd want to do laid out in easy step-by-step format.

If there was a bike that I could get like the KLX351 I'd buy it, but there isn't.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toomanytoys84
Get me an fmf exhaust header and jet kit for 100 dollars? I have 1600 in my bike. Dyno jet kit is what 50 alone?

Full big gun exhaust jet kit pumper carb big bore kit and I might as well sell my bike and buy a much better model. Before I do any of that I need to upgrade all my suspension to make it handle the higher power.

I learned long ago to not try to make something into something its not. The klx is a great bike, I love mine to death, but its an entry level dual sport.

I do wish I would of forked out more and gotten a drz400 or an xr650.
Maybe the DRz, but I have a KLX650, which is pretty much what the XR is and they weigh too much if you ride tight trails.

But for me to make my KLX250 a low buck sub 290lb bike with about 25-30 hp for less than $2500 is making something into something it is plus some.

The DRz only has displacement and horsepower over the 250, but has more weight. It will need the same suspension tricks as a KLX to gain in handling.

The 650 is just plain heavy. Like I said, I have one. Great if you don't get into tight stuff and are tall enough to keep it upright when it starts leaning.

Everything is a trade off... but my money would be on a 351 kitted KLX over the DRz in some serious off roading.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

One of my riding friends has a 2013 WR250R that I rode for the first time last week. It's bone stock, my bike has every mod except a big bore kit. My bike feels like a tank compared to his WRR. The front end on that bike feels like a 125 mx bike, and the bike has a Very very light feeling to it. Maybe it's my 3 gal tank? But it was just about empty. I was very happy with my bike until I rode that bike. My other friend has a DRZ, and that feels like a tank compared to mine. Just sayin.

Last edited by Werloc; 10-20-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
One of my riding friends has a 2013 WR250R that I rode for the first time last week. It's bone stock, my bike has every mod except a big bore kit. My bike feels like a tank compared to his WRR. The front end on that bike feels like a 125 mx bike, and the bike has a Very very light feeling to it. Maybe it's my 3 gal tank? But it was just about empty. I was very happy with my bike until I rode that bike. My other friend has a DRZ, and that feels like a tank compared to mine. Just sayin.
The Bill Blue kit pushes the KLX into another league. Stock, yes, the KLX is outdone by the WRR. The KLX has a lot of very cost effective mods in its corner.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a slip-on silencer, a DJ kit, and do the MCM.. Set er up based off my DJ140/2N/lidless formula.. Once experienced, you'll be offering to send my kids to college..

Old 10-22-2015, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Get a slip-on silencer, a DJ kit, and do the MCM.. Set er up based off my DJ140/2N/lidless formula.. Once experienced, you'll be offering to send my kids to college..
Yeah, the research here is solid. This is probably the smart way to go. If I were starting over, I'd probably go in this direction.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
If you can find a ready made bike that has the attributes of a built KLX250 let me know. The problem is that there are plenty of enduro race bikes with lights like the KTMs but I do not want the price or the maintenance of those bikes.

There's also lots of play bikes with the Honda CRF250L or the TTRs or whatever but there's not a lot that offers adult levels of power with Japanese reliability that doesn't weigh a ton. For me, the 06-07 KLX can't be beat.

Since the KLX wasn't ever a hard core racer or even dirt bike you can find pretty nice used bikes that have not been beat on for short money. the other thing is that you can add features as you go along, you don't have to lay out the whole nut in one shot.

My KLX is really built for the woods. In some real performance terms there's better bikes than mine for the woods, but none that offer the practicality, the durability and the dependability of the platform is too good to pass up.

This forum also has pretty much anything you'd want to do laid out in easy step-by-step format.

If there was a bike that I could get like the KLX351 I'd buy it, but there isn't.
Like the KLX351? How about better?
Just saw a test and review of the KTM 390 in Motorcycle Consumer News.
A smidge over 40hp and 24 lb-ft of torque, 338 lbs WET, top speed 104mph, full instrumentation including gear indicator, 2.77 gal gas tank, and...wait for it...switchable ABS. Price: $4999 MSRP.

You try to get all that out of a KLX and you'll be way over that price if it were even possible. And it's not. The testers say the Katoom has enough power to safely negotiate the superslab. And they averaged 60 mpg during the test.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe not, but you're going to spend a heck of a lot putting that 390 in a dual sport frame since they haven't built one yet.

Quick Reply: klx mods? any worth doing???