KLX 250 ( 300 ) camshaft mod by Marcelino

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Should be the same cams and sprockets, just try it and judge for your self. Seems we have 3 different generations, old, new and FI motors (all using the same cams and sprockets). The FI guys seem to be the happiest with the mods..

Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I am carbed and was happy with this mod. Had to play with jetting but it worked out well, I felt it killed the low end snap a little and really ripped from 4-8.5K. Marcellinos dyno charts show how bad the stock bike falls off the pipe after 8.5K, the modded bike fell off after 8.5K but had a couple more HP to redline. So much for killing the top end. . The percieved loss in top end may be a result of the major gain in the middle. Like Bender says, try it for yourself

Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM

I seen something about older models earlier I did this on a 2000 model and its been a blessing but as everyone has said rejetting is a must or you'll have trouble starting, idling and flat spots in.acceleration

Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
I am carbed and was happy with this mod. Had to play with jetting but it worked out well, I felt it killed the low end snap a little and really ripped from 4-8.5K. Marcellinos dyno charts show how bad the stock bike falls off the pipe after 8.5K, the modded bike fell off after 8.5K but had a couple more HP to redline. So much for killing the top end. . The percieved loss in top end may be a result of the major gain in the middle. Like Bender says, try it for yourself
I did the cams mod and i have problems starting the bike. I was wondering what jetting u did to the carb? Did u use diffrent jets or u just adjusted the existing ones? any help will be appreciated

Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

It should start fine with the jetting you had pre mod. Did you retime the ACR properly? I played with jetting afterwards to get it zeroed in. I went up one jet size. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM

It should start fine with the jetting you had pre mod. Did you retime the ACR properly? I played with jetting afterwards to get it zeroed in. I went up one jet size. GOOD LUCK!
yes i did the acr. i can use the kick start. i can start the bike on a slope but not with the kick start. the bike seems like it needs richer mixture in low rpm so i was thinking to play with the pilot jet first and then deal with the other jets. so i have some work to do today. thx for ur respond

Old 09-13-2012, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking at the OP dyno https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rcelino-35904/ @24hp and max torque around 22 please correct me if i am incorrect ?

What would be the advantage of going big bore B&B 331 with max hp 22.24 and max torque 18.69???

Last edited by yankee99; 09-14-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Trust me I have run the cam mod, with full exhaust and snorkel/rejet. It was a nice bump and fun to ride. I put the 331 kit on and there is no comparison. The dyno numbers you reference were from two different dyno's run at different times. If you have the money just do the BB it is the undisputed king of bang for the buck on the KLX250.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Trust me I have run the cam mod, with full exhaust and snorkel/rejet. It was a nice bump and fun to ride. I put the 331 kit on and there is no comparison. The dyno numbers you reference were from two different dyno's run at different times. If you have the money just do the BB it is the undisputed king of bang for the buck on the KLX250.

I did the mod today and it is ok. I have no problems the bike starts, idles and accelerates like it should. Is there more power? Yes but is it substantial not really...I have the snorkel, exhaust and de-restricted with the ecu pluged with resistors. I read early in the thread of people lifting the wheel with factory gearing. I can tell you unless i am going over a cliff thats not happening....

Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Just some pics a note...I originally lined the crank up 180 degrees off. My eyes are not great and i looked at the line and the cams seemed correct....This could be disaster if you remove the cams then put them back as per the op foto..

This is critical the T is horizontal ... I thought it was vertical and the top stamp was not good....reminder to myself dont think

Name:  P1040111.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  255.3 KB

The cams installed

Name:  P1040113.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  261.0 KB

The acr well i am not sure what the deal is....I dont have a before pic another mistake....I removed it and went to the shop pressed and rotate ccw 1/4"... This was too much as the round piece was 50% below the head...I took it back and had them rotate it 50% cw towards the original position.... it is still about 10% below where the op recommends but it is starting fine....I believe the original position would have been fine....fyi I tried to remove it with a bolt as mentioned earlier in the thread (page 20) with no success. Even if i got it apart reassembling it would have been a issue....

Quick Reply: KLX 250 ( 300 ) camshaft mod by Marcelino