How much extra juice does the KLX have

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default How much extra juice does the KLX have

So, stock out of the box, how much extra power (electricity, wattage whatever) does this bike have extra? I want to connect my GPS and iPhone charging dock to my handle bars, but i'm not exactly sure how much I got spare.

This is what I got eletric wise : Headlight is 80/100, I got 3 LED's (not sure the wattage) connected on my taillight idle light thing. My next plan is a 6 inch LED bar (i'd ditch the 80/100 go back stock to save power) and then the GPS and iPhone dock.

just making sure i'm not overdoing it here, just for long trips.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I end up riding the trails quite a bit at night, and I have the following hooked up with no issues as far as draining the battery etc. I understand that the charging system is rated for something like 215W - which is fairly strong, I think.

I have a 5 LED (SPOT) light bar, plus 6 4.5W individual flood LED's hooked up, plus an additional 2 LED's on the forks. Ones on the forks come on with the Headlight. the 5 LED SPOT is on it's own switch, 2 of the 6 flood LEDs on their own switch and the remaining 4 flood LED's on their own switch. This way, if I stop for a break in the middle of the woods in the pitch dark, I can flip on just the 2 flood LED's, so I can see and there will be very little drain on the battery. Once I'm riding I run all 13 LED's, plus the headlight.

The current draw for charging a GPS and/or iPhone, I understand is pretty minimal. I would suggest trying to find out the wattage rating on the 3 LED's and the 6 inch LED bar, but likely those put together shouldn't be an issue. If you're concerned, you could get a cheap voltmeter readout - if you're straining the electrical system, you won't see enough voltage at the battery when it's charging. Or, even hook up a standard multimeter, turn on the engine and check voltage with and without the accessories turned on. Idling the engine would be a worst case scenario - it's possible that it wouldn't be able to charge, with all that stuff hooked up while idling, so you may want to try at an RPM where you'd normally be 'cruising' to get a better test.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
I end up riding the trails quite a bit at night, and I have the following hooked up with no issues as far as draining the battery etc. I understand that the charging system is rated for something like 215W - which is fairly strong, I think.

I have a 5 LED (SPOT) light bar, plus 6 4.5W individual flood LED's hooked up, plus an additional 2 LED's on the forks. Ones on the forks come on with the Headlight. the 5 LED SPOT is on it's own switch, 2 of the 6 flood LEDs on their own switch and the remaining 4 flood LED's on their own switch. This way, if I stop for a break in the middle of the woods in the pitch dark, I can flip on just the 2 flood LED's, so I can see and there will be very little drain on the battery. Once I'm riding I run all 13 LED's, plus the headlight.

The current draw for charging a GPS and/or iPhone, I understand is pretty minimal. I would suggest trying to find out the wattage rating on the 3 LED's and the 6 inch LED bar, but likely those put together shouldn't be an issue. If you're concerned, you could get a cheap voltmeter readout - if you're straining the electrical system, you won't see enough voltage at the battery when it's charging. Or, even hook up a standard multimeter, turn on the engine and check voltage with and without the accessories turned on. Idling the engine would be a worst case scenario - it's possible that it wouldn't be able to charge, with all that stuff hooked up while idling, so you may want to try at an RPM where you'd normally be 'cruising' to get a better test.
Wow that's very bright and informative! (see what i did there! lmao) thanks for that. I just would hate to be in a trail and boom bike won't start. I will get a multimeter and test it out.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

My '07 produces enough for hand warmers, charging a phone and a camera, and a pair of Aux lights without any issues. Given I've got an LED headlight....

The '07 does produce a bit less power than the '09+ (210 watts rated vs. 230), but that is just the factory rating. After the loss from the regulator, battery, lights, and whatnot, you'll probably have around 100 watts of overhead. You can get it up to around ~150 with LEDs, and another 40 from a rewind and an aftermarket regulator. But I can't imagine anyone needing ~200 watts out of a tiny dual-sport.