Help my EFI will not start!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Help my EFI will not start!!

The bike started misfiring on odd occasions and ran well erratically.
Stopped for a pizza on the beach and when time to start, no go.
Ended up push starting while engaging the starter motor and got it fired up.
Spluttered my way home. Thereafter DEAD.
I suspected fuel as I had previously changed the plug ( This seemed to help for a while)
I stripped the injectors but am not really sure the correct way of cleaning them. ( Kawa manual mentions replacing only, no instruction on cleaning)
I removed the injector, sucked a bit of gas out of them. Next I used a bit of injector cleaner and reconnected the power to the injectors. While the injectors were firing I blew through the inlet and observed a fine mist of cleaning fluid spraying.
Re assembled and no luck starting.

Any other ideas on where to look? Any of you EFI guys experienced similar?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Is the FI light on indicating there is a problem? you might need to run diagnostics on the ECU to find out the cause if the FI light is on. Another thing you could look at is the small filter tea bag which should be in the fuel tank, you could have pumped in fuel which were dirty and it clogged up the filter. i had this problem before on the Versys but not this bad until it couldnt start.

Originally Posted by grahamgower
The bike started misfiring on odd occasions and ran well erratically.
Stopped for a pizza on the beach and when time to start, no go.
Ended up push starting while engaging the starter motor and got it fired up.
Spluttered my way home. Thereafter DEAD.
I suspected fuel as I had previously changed the plug ( This seemed to help for a while)
I stripped the injectors but am not really sure the correct way of cleaning them. ( Kawa manual mentions replacing only, no instruction on cleaning)
I removed the injector, sucked a bit of gas out of them. Next I used a bit of injector cleaner and reconnected the power to the injectors. While the injectors were firing I blew through the inlet and observed a fine mist of cleaning fluid spraying.
Re assembled and no luck starting.

Any other ideas on where to look? Any of you EFI guys experienced similar?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

The F1 light is acting normal. I will check the filter. I assume I need to remove the fuel pump for this? I will check the manual.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I had exactly the same problem last month!!

Rode to work as usual & had a few weird burps n farts on the way, tried revving thru the bad patch & the bike just wasn't responding properly! Didn't think to much about it....thought maybe bad fuel or water in the tank etc. Jumped on the bike to get some lunch a few hours later & nothing....kept on the starter button for nearly 2 minutes & nothing, didn't sound like it was even thinking about firing!! Left the bike for a few more hours & had another go at starting but she was dead, just turning the engine with no hint of ever firing up. No FI warning light was showing either.

My panic thoughts were in this order:
Fuel pump buggered
Injector blocked or broken
Hole in the piston (silly but I did think it)
Power commander f#cked
Ecu broken
Coil had died
Check fuses
Check spark is firing

After another minute of pounding the starter motor with zero joy, I smelt the exhaust & it stank of fuel....so i ruled out fuel pump & injector!

All the fuses looked good.....so ruled them out.

Had a spare spark plug handy & took the cap off & could see a nice big spark next to the engine! Coil ruled out.

This has never happened before & I was bemused!! So I disconnected the battery & pulled off the ECU, left the bike for an hour to see if resetting would work. Then while I waited disconnected & re-connected all the Power commander piggyback stuff after a splash of wd40.

Connected back on the battery, plugged the ecu back in & bolted the panels & tank back on......Shut my eyes....said a prayer.....pressed the starter button & hey presto she was purring like a cat again!!

I will never know what was the actual cause because i did everything I could think of at once...lol Very worrying & strange!!

She has run great ever since btw

Last edited by JoelThailand; 04-18-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Well hell, thanks Joel. Now I know exactly what to do!!
But seriously when I get back on land I will have another methodical go at checking all connections and rule out one by one. Bummer is I live in a forest up a mountain, on a frigging island. Cannot just call the Kawa dealer to come fetch n fix. Closest one must be about 3000 NM across the Southern Ocean!

Old 04-20-2014, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

both your bikes are modded , ya ?

Old 04-20-2014, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pistole
both your bikes are modded , ya ?

Ya, but so are 99% of all bikes on this forum, unless yours is bone stock? Tires included!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

some of us have taken off our air box lids , and yeah , some of us have even put on proper off road tires (horror).

some of you have full fuelling/mapping/piggyback ecu's.

kinda different to me.

carry on.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

OK all sorted. Went back and charged the battery for a couple of hours and hey presto, she fired up first spin. So, in retrospect, the injector was blocked. I ran the battery down by trying to start. After I cleaned the injector, the battery had enough power to spin the starter motor, but not enough to fire up the ECU. Seems like the EFI bikes need a really fresh battery to run the DFI system. So all good and the little 331 is running like a demon again. Mods and all!!