help identifying part

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default help identifying part

Hi there, I am new to this forum, and not an experienced mechanic. I have a new to me 2010 KLX250SF. It was modded by the previous owner, and I am trying to figure it all out. I have a shop manual ordered, and have been studying one online in the meantime.
One part on my bike has been added by the previous owner, and is a stainless canister with a hole in the top, connected to both sides of the carb by hoses (blue in the pics). I will include pics to clarify. I would like to figure out what it is and if I can change it back to stock or eliminate it?
Thanks in advance for any help, I have a whole pile of questions, opinion requests, and parts identification that I won't bombard you all with at once...

Attached Thumbnails help identifying part-img_6326.jpg   help identifying part-img_6324.jpg   help identifying part-img_6323.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well... without looking at my bike or a manual, I'm gonna take a guess and say he rigged up some kinda catch-can for the carb overflow. Maybe trackday or trail rules where he ran. If so, the solution would be to remove the can and route the hoses straight down in front of the swingarm. Let's let somebody who is more familiar with this chime in before you do anything

Old 11-14-2016, 02:09 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Aren't those the upper carb vent spigots? I haven't studied my OEM keihin in years since going to a pumper carb. I don't live in a "green ****" state, and I never heard of a race organization or federal reg concerning those hoses having to be captured in a catch can. I've ridden my KLX in green **** states and was never aware of any such regulation even in a National Park or other federal lands.

Maybe that's not what it is, but I've never seen anything like it. There may be a totally logical application that I'm not aware of. That can seems to be in a very hazardous location to be totally destroyed...whatever it's for.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Dug it up on the Kaw site -

definitely a pollution device.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Without researching further, is it a charcoal canister or something similar?

Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, with an inlet tube and outlet tube, with some washing out it could be a mini-hydration can. Fill it with a few 5 Hour Energy Shots, run a hose up to the helmet...

Old 11-15-2016, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi guys..I had studied that diagram previous to posting. I did a little artwork on my own to help clarify. I was tempted to think that my strange homemade canister was the one highlighted in red, but it is not due to the location that the hoses terminate on the carb. instead, MY canister terminates at the locations highlighted in green. I don't see where they are normally routed, or what the do/are called in the schematic. I suspect the should just go out by the swing arm, however my lack of experience holds me back from doing anything hasty.

E.T.A. would they be the "upper carb vent spigots" as TNC and hoot suggest? perhaps I need to look farther than the Kawasaki manual, rather look for the keihin model# and look more closely at that. I'm sure I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. I would like to eventually eliminate anything un necessary in the way of extra un needed epa smog/venting crap. I just need to figure out what to take and what to leave.......

Attached Thumbnails help identifying part-img_6345.jpg   help identifying part-img_6354.jpg  

Last edited by xcrcarpenter; 11-15-2016 at 02:07 AM. Reason: add more
Old 11-15-2016, 03:31 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I just looked at my resource material on the KLR650 CVK40 which is basically a 40mm version of our 250 carb. Definitely looks like the upper hoses are vent tubes.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

So that whole thing is a wast of time and space? (I'm sure someone was proud of their creation), but you think route those down and out the back with the rest, and trash the canister contraption?

Old 11-15-2016, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes. And while you're at it, search for some info on the carb vent hose "Y" mod

Quick Reply: help identifying part