Front Brake Reservoir Screws Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Here's another alternative: jis
Make sure the tips are hardened, if you buy from Ebay or Harbor Freight. And NO; the "Posidrive" tip is not the same as JIS.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Here's another alternative: jis
Make sure the tips are hardened, if you buy from Ebay or Harbor Freight. And NO; the "Posidrive" tip is not the same as JIS.
something like this?
Motorcycle ATV Tuner Tools Vessel Screwdriver 4 Piece Set for All JIS Japanese | eBay

Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(Hey, ID, I think you can get a 5-pc set from rjrcooltools for the same money. Same brand.)

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/shop_ite...?subcat_ID=138

Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDoc46
So ordered the genuine screws from my local Kwaka dealer. They'll be here on Thurs / Fri. I also ordered the 'As Seen On TV' !!!!! Speed out.... lol, never thought i'd see the day i fell for that sh!te ! Anyway, https://www.buyspeedout.com/iispout/...tm?mid=4455184

May as well give it a go..... But will wait til Thurs til I have the replacement screws before giving it a go. The front brake is working fine at the moment, so no need to open up the reservoir yet, with no way of screwing it back down.

So to avoid in the future, do all Jap bike mechanics own a set of JIS screwdrivers ? I'll be honest I didn't know there was a different standard for the Japs.

How different is JIS to PZ ? I have some PZ bits, but all my quality X head screwdrivers are Phillips.

It seemed a perfect fit for the rear reservoir. But the front it just chewed, right from the get-go.. Anyway I'll report back next weekend as to whether the speedouts done the trick. Failing that, i'll go to it with a dremel, to make a line... Failing that, I'll just drill the head out completely and go to it from there.
Well I'm glad to report the SpeedOut made easy work of removing the stripped screws.. Worth the $20 I guess. Also rec'd my replacement reservoir screws from my local Kawasaki dealer. However they did not have the little dot, specifying that they're JIS..So maybe the replacements are not? Even so, i used my new shiny JIS screwdriver to tightening them down and it seemed to me that it was a nice snug fit.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The (so far) undamaged screws on my front master cylinder cover do not have the dot either and they are the factory original ones.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
The (so far) undamaged screws on my front master cylinder cover do not have the dot either and they are the factory original ones.
Strange. Mine definitely did, as do the rears. I also have a Yamaha FZ09, and its screws on its reservoir have the little dot also.. Which really prompted me, to buy the JIS screwdrivers.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
(Hey, ID, I think you can get a 5-pc set from rjrcooltools for the same money. Same brand.)

RJRCOOLTOOLS

Jeff, I'm looking at this again.
The 5-pc RGR has #00, #0, #1 (thick shank), #1 (thin shank) & #2.

The ebay kit has #1, #2, #3 and #3 Impacta impact driver. Webbikeworld indicates the #1, #2 and #3 are most common for motorcycle shop work with #1 referenced for the brake master cylinder screws. And they like the Impacta in #2 and #3. So, I'm thinking about my future purchase and it seems the RGR package is designed more for the hobbyist working on smaller stuff and the ebay package may be better suited to a motorcyclist? Thoughts? I'm not familiar enough with the JIS sizing.

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the screwdriver from the bikes toolkit should be a JIS? either way the screw heads started stripping with a normal screw driver, I changed to the screwdriver that came with it and guess what: the screws destroyed said screwdrivers bit! (I used some force to keep it down and turned it and .. the screwdriver was stripped with a pointy bit in the middle if you know. I've had same happen on a grom/msx125 too on oem reservoir screws(not destroying the screwdriver bit tho). bizarre.

Anyhow, I didn't have time to wait for an extractor or go look for one or such, so I just used a dremel like tool to cut a slot into the screws to use a regular flat screwdriver. worked surprisingly well. I reused the screws as well.

Buying a 20 bucks tool to extract them is in the local economy really expensive feeling, would just buy a new cylinder/level/tank combo at that price already, which is what I did for the grom/msx as it had some seal broken as well.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

A modern, high quality Phillips screwdriver works on JIS screws. Just make sure it’s the correct size. If you’re bored, read this:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-j...rivers-review/

Old 01-21-2020, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a bunch of bright zinc coated countersunk socket head cap screws to replace the screws in my bike reservoir. I forget the exact size, but not hard to get and not expensive. I'm thinking they are 5mm thread, but you'd have to verify it.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Reservoir Screws Stripped