Flashing neutral light

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Question Flashing neutral light

Thats just one of the issues I have been experiencing. I don't know if these are related or not, but couldn't really find much info after a search here.

- Neutral light will flash and sometimes not even come on
- Almost every ride, after stalling, computer resets while restarting
- Coming to a stop in any gear (4 or 5, etc) sometimes it's very difficult to get to neutral even after rocking and moving it. (shift star?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Problem 2 (and maybe 1) : check all your ground connections. May as well check all the other electrical connectons while you are at it.

#3 Check clutch freeplay.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

neutral flashes when the turn signals are flashing too

Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Problem 2 (and maybe 1) : check all your ground connections. May as well check all the other electrical connectons while you are at it.

#3 Check clutch freeplay.
Thanks for the response.
I've done so many mods, and this being my first motorcycle, maybe I didnt connect some wires properly.
Maybe it was the kickstand switch delete, but then it probably just wouldn't start period.
The friction zone in the clutch is right at the top of the lever. I don't think there is any free play in the lever.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

It does sound like a loose ground, but seeing as the speedo resets, it must be a fairly major one. I would check to see if your battery cables are tight. Does the whole speedo loose power or do the odometers just reset back to zero? There is a good wiring schematic somewhere on here that you can follow. I think the neutral wire is light green from memory, and the grounds in the wiring harness is black with a yellow tracer. You might check that the connector on the back of your speedo is plugged in properly.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I've reconnected to the battery terminals a couple of times hoping that was it, but no. I spliced into some wires for the heated grips. I'll recheck that.
The trip meters and clock reset and the odo remains. The issue started after my 351 and pumper install. The first time I have ever really done any work on a motor.
I'll check the speedo wiring and grounds. I know as much about electronics as I do about motors though.

Could a shift star issue or bent pin make it tough to get down to first after a stop. I assume this has nothing to do with the electronics.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

is it always difficult to find first gear? Have you crashed onto the left side of the bike?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I've crashed onto the shifter a few times. One occasion it bent 90 degrees out. Strangely enough shifting seems to be worse after riding for a while. I have fresh motoul 10/ 40 in it. I've read the aftermarket shift star is better so maybe I'll try one.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I would say that your problem probably lies in the shifter star. maybe even the flashing neutral light. I would take the case of and have a look in there. It not a big deal.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I would guess your trip resets are bad ground like stated above or battery getting week. My bike has been reseting the trip meters intermittantly on startup for quite some time. I dont really know why. I have checked every connection I can get my hands on. I may just replace the battery soon since truck batteries dont last for more than a couple years out here anyway.
Shifting problems may be shift star(Open it up and take a look) or make sure your shift lever is not bent in a way that keeps it from traveling completly down. I belive you have to go just a little farther to get into first than downshifting between gears. Also grab your clutch and look at the action on the arm down by the clutch basket. If the clutch is not fully dissengageing I think shifting especialy into 1st would be harder. One more thing is is it just as hard to shift into first when at dead stop as it is when you are downshifting & stopping at the same time?

Quick Reply: Flashing neutral light