Euro and US Horsepower Difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
IDRIDR, all you gotta do is read some of my Dyno test threads - It is common knowledge ,to those that really care for verifiable truth, that Kustom Kraft has a full and complete DynoJet chart on a stock KLX. While the specifics of the stock bike they tested are not known - I think 16.51 hp is a little high - there is no refuting a complete DynoJet chart. Especially from a business that would not inflate stock KLX numbers - Kustom Kraft offers Big Bore kits for KLX's....

BTW - they show their stock KLX at 16.51HP and 11.69 TRQ ... I know I've got 21hp and with the DJ#136 now in place, I think my next Dyno session will show 22+..

I edited my post above to more accurately reflect the Kustom Kraft chart - 16hp/13lbft was off the top of my head...

I think we've discussed this before, but in case we haven't, I remember with my stock header, dg exhaust, no lid, 128 main jet dyno kit installed at 2200ft of elevation I was at 22.8 horsepower. Would the 132 you were running or the 136 you are now equal to the 128 since you are at around sea level? If so I can be pretty sure you can see upwards of 22-23 horsepower like I did.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with you on all points Matt. I know you got a free, quicky, run without all the supporting charts but it looks like your results may be spot on.

The problem is that the DJ kit is not designed for lid off. You probably ended up with a pretty good AFR @ 2200, hence the 22.8hp.. I will get my 12-12.8:1 AFR one way or the other and Dyno - Probably getting your 22.8..lol

Old 10-29-2014, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
IDRIDR, all you gotta do is read some of my Dyno test threads - It is common knowledge ,
Yes, we have discussed this, and from what I recall it is common knowledge that...

- the Kustom Kraft dyno test was from an "old" stock KLX250 that I recall peaking at 16.5 from looking at their curve. What does "old" mean ... before they rebuilt it?

- there are a number of sites that publish the factory reported power of the stock bike at around 18 hp.

- as Mr. Woof and many others have made very, very clear, you absolutely cannot take the numbers from one dyno run on one dyno machine on one bike at one elevation ... blah blah blah ... and attempt to transfer and compare those results to another run, machine, day, humidity, condition, altitude, etc. It may be fun and games, but get off your high horse.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Now play nice, boys....

Old 10-29-2014, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm gettin off my high horse.. I'm too sensitive to uneducated crap going around like it's gospel.. The Dyno Jet Dyno's are designed to produce charts that are able to be compared with each other. Anyone that wants to know and understand how this is done can easily learn it themselves. If you don't want to do the research, the end of the story is that if the operators did the runs correctly, and the two dynos are correctly calibrated, and both are using the same SAE releases, complete DJ charts - showing all run data - are comparable.

DJ operators have regular intervals for DJ dyno calibrations.. They have regular software updates... They know how to properly set up and operate the bike.. Everything about the operation of the DJ dyno is meat to produce solid, comparable, charts regardless of ambient conditions.

If you know what data must be on a chart in order for it to be considered trustworthy, you'll know not to trust any chart, anywhere, that doesn't provide that data.

If anyone wants to know more, I'd be happy to help..

Last edited by Klxster; 10-29-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

You didn't address points one and two. Are they not important?
The KK stock bike tested was described as "old" by the poster of the dyno curve.

You are only referencing this one test at 16 hp for the stock bike. Other sites, threads, etc., reference 18 hp as stock. Why do you keep referencing this one test when there are many other posts differing? (ITIKW).

So, are you claiming that every single DJ dyno test, where ever it is done, by whatever shop, on any day and humidity and temperature, ad naseum is comparable to another DJ dyno test on the same bike? Are the dynojet guys really running around out there with calibrated engines checking all of their machines? Do they do this for free? Do they charge the owners? If the owners don't want the calibration test, even if its free, does DJ rip their dyno machine from their hands because it wasn't tested? If so, I'm seriously impressed.

To the OP, outrecording, sorry for us derailing your post.
As you can see, some of us like to attempt making our points on the net. We may joust. And at times, we are obviously wrong. Sometimes we can admit it. I've learned much here and admit to being wrong ,,, many times ,,, and I may be again. It's a learning experience. Don't take my posts for fact! YMMV!

Ride on...

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-29-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know the details of the bike they tested. That chart is a complete DJ chart of what they claim is a stock KLX. It is the only complete chart I know of for a stock KLX.

I am eager to analyze any complete DJ chart of any KLX - not just "stock" bikes.

Your question about prevailing conditions from one day to the next and from one dyno to another goes directly to the SAE standards for calculating corrected horsepower used by the DJ software.
The complexities of the SAE standards for calculating corrected horsepower are not that hard to understand. Are you wanting help with that or are you just needing to vent?

I agree that this conversation is inappropriate on Outrecordings' thread. I'm ready to help anyone understand the subject - but not here - Start a thread or PM me.. Klxster, "OUT"..

Last edited by Klxster; 10-29-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Thanks. I'll wait for them to chime in. I haven't read enough in this forum. Just now getting over here after reading the advrider massive klx thread (took near a month!); didn't find any direct comparisons or reasonings behind the power difference. Makes sense though. Might be difficult to put them side by side to see how they're different.
OK I will chime in here. There are plenty of us EFI 331,s out here. Simplest way to deliver fuel is via Dobek EJK. They have a new model specifically for the 300 and up BB. I believe a 351 will work as my fuel controller is set at very minimal settings to run the 331. An extra 20 cc would be no problem.
The EFI bikes are MUCH, MUCH easier to jet. Never having to pull a carb to rejet, just press a button.
Rev limiter in 4,5 and 6 easily fixed with a tiny bridging wire on the clutch lever switch. ( changes the map as the bike thinks it is in Neutral)
You will have to change your exhaust tailpipe. The cat converter does not like the big bore and richer fuel. Gets hot as hell, so factor that into your budget.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

this has gone way off topic... Like i said, if there was any diffrence, it woulld be mentioned in the service manual.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. No worries about the off topic stuff. Always good to read some opposite points of views on things.

Regarding the topic, am I understanding correctly that there likely isn't a difference? Is that the general consensus here?

I'm not trying to get hung up on horsepower, it's just a unit of measure, but when I saw "16kW (22 PS) / 7,500 rpm (EUR)" in the Taiwan brochures, that converted to around 21.5hp.

Is there a different way I should be looking at/converting those figures?

Last edited by outrecording; 11-01-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Stupid smartphone

Quick Reply: Euro and US Horsepower Difference