electrial issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Default electrial issues

I Have an 2006 klx250s and started it today to take a short ride, after it warmed up at idle I put it into gear and started to pull out. It just went dead, no lights, on neutral light, nothing. Anybody have an Idea what to look for?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you blew the main fuse.
Replace it and make sure your battery cables are tight and the cables that connect the fuse to the solenoid are also tight and not corroded.
If it happens under the same circumstances again, you might have a short in your safety switches.
Start there and then look further.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Pulled the bike out and started it to warm up. After putting on my gear I came back to find the bike not running. There was a glass fuse under the seat that had blown. I didn't have any short that caused it to pop. The fuse gets weak and brittle after time so I think the motor vibration eventually causes it to fail.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, I have the same problem. My bike just died completely on my way from home, after 10 secs it came back on then turned back off and that happened like 10 times, but now it wont turn on at all. nothing works.

I checked the 2 fuses in the one box that are 10A and they are fine for the ignition and something else, and then I checked the 20A fuse and that one is okay as well. What are my options from here. I read a post saying it could be the rectifier? which I assume is the part listed "diode" in the catalog.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Check your clutch & kickstand switch before you change the rectifier, the flywheel, the wiring harness, the spark plug, the.... you get the idea.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

But if youre not getting any power on the gauge cluster it wont be that will it, the cluster should still light up even if the kickstand is down.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I had what sounds like the same issue a while back.
After further investigation it turned out to be the diode (49018) that had disconnected.

Ensuring that it was properly connected fixed the issue for me.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypnoFrogs
But if youre not getting any power on the gauge cluster it wont be that will it, the cluster should still light up even if the kickstand is down.
I thinks he's just trying to give a general idea.

To the OP. Do you have a wiring diagram? Your going to have to start tracing to see where you don't have voltage stating from the battery. Are all the ground wires making good contact? The wiring system is fairly basic and you should be able to see the problem quickly. Spend the time to diagnose. Throwing parts at it isn't the way to go.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 03-31-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypnoFrogs
Good point, when it stalls, see if the neutral gear selector light comes on or see if the headlight is on. I don't know if you could ever see the dash light during the day on a 06.

If it is on, your problem is on the ignition side, not the general power wiring.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure if anyone realizes but Graybo only posted once and hasn't responded. Only 5 posts total.

Quick Reply: electrial issues