Dyno Charts: MCM vs Stock Cam Timings

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dyno Charts: MCM vs Stock Cam Timings

I have "stitched together" two of my older "MCM" runs along with Houstons4's latest "non-MCM" run.

Both bikes are running Lidless, stock header + loud performance slipons..

Even with the "stitching together", the AFR for this "composite curve" is 13:1 or more. Point is, there could/would be better MCM curves with a little more fueling than what I have here. Specifically, IMO, if my AFR above 6500 was just below 13:1, instead of just above, there may be no gap at all in upper power levels. While my final recipe of MCM+DJ140/2N+slipon+lidless (near sea level) will certainly have a richer AFR chart (therefore, likely better curves), I do not have that data/chart to show against Houstons4's latest (non-MCM) shown here...

Nonetheless, Fully "Uncorked" or not, MCM makes TRQ, lots of it below 6500 RPM..

A simple analysis:
MCM is over 16 LB FT from 5k to 6.6k, that's 1600 rpm of goodness.
NON-MCM is over 16 LB FT from 5.9k to 6.9k that's 1000 rpm of goodness.
While the peak TRQ numbers are similar, NON-MCM only achieves its' number with a little "bump" at 6750 rpm, MCM carries more TRQ far longer..
MCM follows the TRQ curve of the Stock Timing curve perfectly with about -1/2 Lb Ft from 6500 rpm on up..This can be considered within the margin of error for runs on two different DJ250i dynos..

Attached Thumbnails Dyno Charts: MCM vs Stock Cam Timings-2016-10-10-4-.png  

Last edited by Klxster; 12-30-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

My advice on this is actually pretty simple. Take good measure of what RPM's you generally ride with.

If you generally ride below 6.5 - 7K rpm, do the MCM..

If you are generally above 6 to 6.5k, or want to maximize power above 6k, and you are certain you are going to forever keep the stock header, don't do the MCM.

If you are going to use a performance Header with a good slipon, the MCM will help maintain power below 6.5k while still allowing good benefits above - otherwise, there will likely be a "somewhat significant" loss of power below 6.5k but with even greater gains above..

Last edited by Klxster; 10-12-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

So, Richard Avatar and a few others that were tuning for max power at top RPM's could very well have been correct with their negative reviews of the MCM. While I believe MCM, perfectly fueled, will closely match or equal "NON-MCM" power above 6.5K, it is not out of the question that a KLX running a performance header + slipon and tuned for max performance 7-10.5k, would lose a noticeable amount of that power with the MCM.. AND, it stands to reason that my bike might pick up a noticeable amount of top end power if I un-MCM'd it .. However, I am not going to un-MCM my bike due to the very likely large loss of power below 6.5K..

Last edited by Klxster; 10-12-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Klxster,
This comparison is what I was looking for! I usually shift at about 6k unless I have a reason not to...

That's one of the cool things I like about the KLX, we have super moto folks, dirt bike folks, dual sport folks and putt around geezer's like me.

A truly versatile little bike.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Def not the mod for all out hp as the mcm mod limits the rpm range 1K rpms n puts peak tq lower in the powerband. Not what I'm looking for in so cal / Baja

Old 11-05-2017, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

As stated, if you require maximum trq in the 6.5k - 10.5K range, and are modding to enhance this range (full performance exhaust system, lidless airbox, proper lidless CVK setup) do not employ the MCM.. If you use a mod combo that stifles top end airflow/power - lids and snorkels on the airbox and/or stock header - you might as well employ the MCM..

Old 03-27-2023, 07:34 PM

So I recently picked up a used 2021 KLX 300 and it already had the delkevic slip on, kdx snorker, dyno jet and a K&N filter.

I did the pair valve delete, o2 delete, secondary throttle plate delete, iridium spark plug, unifilter oiled foram filter.

Emailed dynojet for a map they said they dont recommend the 02 delete and the stock map is all they have.

Wondering where I can tune to bike to fully utilize the mods that are already in there.

Does adding the FMF Mega Bomb give any gains?

In Dallas, is there a local tuner I can take it to and get it dynoed and the dynojet adjusted?

Old 03-29-2023, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Reconnect the O2 system.
Assuming your reference to "DynoJet" means the bike has a tuner attached to it, any local dyno shop can dyno tune it.
Remove the airbox lid for the dyno tune and forever ( there afterwards ) for best performance.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

@Klxster So how're the Indians going?

Old 03-31-2023, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

They are simply marvelous. They live out here with me at the Ranch, in the hangar. They get, alternately, ignored then pampered.. When my kids/ friends visit, we jump on them for a ride in the country.. I rotate them on solo rides to keep them "limbered up"..

As a side note, if what I did in here, with the lidless tune development /MCM usage, etc, could be considered "disruptive", it pales in comparison to what "Indianster" has done/is doing since 2016 in the Indian forum.. lol What I found was a huge group of sheeple being led around by morons that call themselves "tuners" - concerning Indian performance and how to mod + tune for best results. I am pretty much the "keeper of the data" and "keeper of the best known performance mod combos".. It's fun..

Quick Reply: Dyno Charts: MCM vs Stock Cam Timings