Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Default RE: Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??

What metal screen? My air filter just had a plastic frame with the foam element attached to it? Did Kawi forget something in my bike?

Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 AM

Ahaha,
Ya after you take the plastic frame with the filter wrapped around it off, there was a metal mesh thing in there that is secured on by 4 bolts which the filter sits on top of.. To get to the place where I drilled to I had to 1st take the filter out with the white plastic frame. Then under all that there is this Metal Screen thing that you have to remove to gain access to the Crank case hole thingymijiger lol, and also behind this screen is where the large hole is where the carb gets its air from. Underneath the large carb tube is connected too is where the small crank case hole is, did I really mess something up now??
Heres a pic of it, you have to get behind this mesh to gain access to the hole that was drilled out, is my bike weird??

Old 03-29-2006, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Holy crap, why do they make it so hard to move the freaking metal screen out of the air box, my god. They put all those bolts in the hardest to reach places that my wrench could not reach. I got the 1st two off the top then had to pry my hand down to where the hole was drilled out in, and then pull out the little plastic scraps. Oh, and I also found some oil had made its way to the airbox, and this was before the airbox mod, whats up with that??

Don't sweat the oil. That's part and parcel of a crankcase vent. It's one of the reasons your airbox has a drain. Oil vapor is going to condense in there over time. No worries.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 AM

Oh, ya that screen. I forgot about that. I think it acts as a spark arrestor and also keeps anything large like mice, leaves or peices of hte foam filter from getting into the engine.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:56 PM

I remember someone talking about how his KLX kept on stalling after he did the crank case mod. I believe he assumed that some of the plastic bits got into the carb[:@]. I'm going to give the airbox one last look over today and make sure I didn't leave any shards of plastic in there, then fire her up and see how she acts. This is supposed to help the bottom end right, make the throttle more responsive?

Old 03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I remember someone talking about how his KLX kept on stalling after he did the crank case mod. I believe he assumed that some of the plastic bits got into the carb[:@]. I'm going to give the airbox one last look over today and make sure I didn't leave any shards of plastic in there, then fire her up and see how she acts. This is supposed to help the bottom end right, make the throttle more responsive?
You should notice a difference but nothing like the needle and re-jet will give you. Getting this bike where it needs to be is a sum of all these mods. Each adds a little bit more to the pie.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:02 AM

This is supposed to help the bottom end right, make the throttle more responsive?

I think it will tend ot free up the top end since it's a hgih RPM"s that the piston will be rapidly trying to compress the air inside the crankcase. At lower RPM's, the smaller stock hole is adequate to vent the cranscase.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:16 AM

Well I took it for a ride today, there is definatley something differant, I just can't put my finger on it. I also drilled out the stock exhaust with the 1/2" bit. It pretty much tore up my bit but I got it through. I could not tell a big differance at all really with the sound, maybe just a little bit when Idling, but when going at speed there was no differance in sound, but there was definatley some more power there, not a great whopping deal, but I could feel it.
Let me ask you this, what in the hell kinda tool do you guys use to get the air filter screen pictured above out?? It was a bitch to just get the top 2 out, I couldn't even get my wrench and socket down there to get the bottom 2 out, so I had to pry it open to get all the little plastic shards out left over from drilling the vent hole.
Also.... What would you reccomend for a good torque wrench? I was gonna go to sears and get the craftsman, I heard you can never go wrong there. What are the socket sizes that I need to get for the rear wheel off and front sprockets.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 AM

craftsman torque wrenches would probably work for what little you may use it on your bike but if you are going to seriously use it then precision tool makes all the wrenches for snap on mac matco cornwell and most other catere tool companies and really are not much more money.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:09 AM

What are the socket sizes that I need to get for the rear wheel off and front sprockets.
1st Get a cheap electric impact wrench if you don't have one already. They are $50-60. 1-1/16 fits close enough on the sprocket and axle nut. I forget the exact metric size, but I remember having trouble finding it. I think the other side of the axle is a 22mm, but you can use channel locks or your hand jsut to keep it from turning enough to get the nut started.

Quick Reply: Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??