Colorado Trip Preperations

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Landon, I'm not familiar with the Alpine Trail singletrack you mentioned. I see where it's at sort of NW of Lake City. There is also some impressive singletrack just to the SE of LC on the La Garita Stock Driveway, the McKenzie Stock Driveway, and Miner's road...all on the east side of hwy 149. Don't worry...there's nothing driveway or road about them for the most part.

On your jetting, as long as your jetting isn't too rich at home, you may be surprised to find you need no jetting changes at all. Your KLX's CV carb does wonders at compensating for altitude. You're not riding at 10,000 feet or higher all that much. The CV carb performs quite well. You may need to adjust your idle at some point.
Sounds like maybe I don't need to do anything to the carb. I might go as is and take some smaller jets incase I decide I need to go smaller.

Thanks for the trail information. What map do you use? I have a plotter at work I can print the MVUM off on. I believe I located La Garita, but its acutally showing on the west sid of hwy 149 and looks like you get on it at one point of hwy 149 and then come of a few miles down the road on 149, is that correct? I am having trouble pinpointing the other two, but have not looked at the forest service map yet.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

La Garita goes across hwy 149 to the west, but the best part is over on the east with those other trails I mentioned. La Garita is FR787. You can get to it at Spring Creek campground on 149 south of LC. I normally use a Latitude 40 map of The Southwest Colorado Trails. I still won't cover all of those I mentioned. Another couple of trails in the area are the interconnecting Lost Creek, Trail Creek, and Pole Creek trails just off the Alpine Loop. At Wager Gulch/Carson Ghost Town a little bit east of Cinnamon Pass, you go south to hit those trails, and they go all the way south to the Rio Grande Reservoir Road and back to Lake City.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Off the top of my head this is the single track that I'm aware of in the area. I have not ridden any of this so I really can't comment as to the difficulty level. I have heard that the Alpine Trail has an absurd amount of switchbacks. There are Youtube videos of Calico.

Single Track Near Lake City
Cannibal Plateau / Brush Creek
Jarosa Mesa (comes out near the La Garita Stock driveway)
You could go from Lake City to Creede using the following trails
Jarosa Mesa, La Garita, Miner's Creek.
You already mentioned the Alpine Trail single track by Owl Creek Pass

Between Cinnamon Pass and Road Canyon/Stony Pass
West Lost Trail, Lost Trail, Wager Gulch, East Fork Pole Creek
There is single Track that connects these (Continental Divide Trail/Colorado Trail)

Single Track Near Telluride
Wilson Mesa
Calico (near Rico)

I have a website with an accumulation of 4WD roads (mostly from TrailDamage) in Google Earth KML format (Some GPX). If you have the Google Earth Plugin installed you can view the files directly from my web page. Otherwise you will have to download the KML files and open in Google Earth. The plugin is not available for Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9. If you use Windows 7, download Google Chrome and the Google Earth Plugin will work with that. My website is below and you will find some Single Track that I discussed above in the 4WD Trails Map and the Ridgeway Single Track (Alpine and Nate Creek).
https://sites.google.com/site/fooswolf/home

This website has some information in the area also.
Dual Sport Maps and GPS Resources

This website has Colorado Trails
Rick's Home Page

IntrepidXJ's Adventure Blog
This guy is fantastically ridiculous with Google/GPS for Utah and Colorado
Colorado GPS Tracks | IntrepidXJ's Adventure Blog

Dan

Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Wilson Mesa over west of Telluride is a good one, but that's a long haul to either ride from the LC area on the bike or move camp. However, if it's really singletrack you want, there is probably more ST off of hwy 145 between Dolores and Telluride than anywhere else in the area. Some of it is just kind of fun challenging and some of it will curl your hair.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

This is my first trip out. We are basing out of Lake City and won't be moving camp. I don't plan on doing single track everyday, I do want to do alot of the passes, but I do want to spend a couple days checking out the single track. I am going with a guy that has been going for years, he knows a lot of it and will be a great guide.

Last edited by Landon; 07-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
La Garita is FR787.
That helps a tremendous amount! Its much easier to figure the trails out using the Forest Service map if you have the FR#.

Last edited by Landon; 07-06-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member

So I have been doing a bunch of trip planning and looking at ADVrider for assistance in doing so and have not really found what I need. Its appears the locals or riders that have been to the area all call the trails by names, but on the maps I have been looking at they are all listed by numbers. Is there already a thread or post here or another site that has the names and numbers listed together? I believe a lot of the pieces to that are already out there in several different post and I will do the work to create my own list if needed, just thought I would ask before I put the leg work in.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:43 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
So I have been doing a bunch of trip planning and looking at ADVrider for assistance in doing so and have not really found what I need. Its appears the locals or riders that have been to the area all call the trails by names, but on the maps I have been looking at they are all listed by numbers. Is there already a thread or post here or another site that has the names and numbers listed together? I believe a lot of the pieces to that are already out there in several different post and I will do the work to create my own list if needed, just thought I would ask before I put the leg work in.
Landon, what specifically do you need to know? I may know every trail or 2-track you list or know enough about them to steer you right. If you have a question, ask it here. I'd rather keep it in the open post as others might also have insight about your questions, and others might be thinking about a similar trip.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

The Dual Sport Maps has a tab at the top that has the MVUM Overlays that you can display over the map (I think you need to be logged in to use). As you probably already know the MVUM will have the single track trail numbers. The web page also has GPX files but I don't think you will find much single track there.
"http://www.dualsportmaps.com" Dual Sport Maps and GPS Resources

The Colorado Delorme Gazetter map displays both the fire road and firetrails with some names of the firetrails.

I have GIS Shapefiles of the roads, forest trails, hiking trails etc for Colorado in my copy of AutoCAD MAP, so If you point out an area that you are interested in, I may be able to correlate between Fire road/Firetrail name and number.

Below are some HTML links to the files I listed above. Note they are mainly 4WD fire roads and not single track. You can display them in Google Earth by pasting the HTML code into a Google Earth Network Link. Take a look. If you give us some Lat/Lon possitions that you are interested in, perhaps we can get you some information.

Thad, I don't know if you use Google Earth, but I would appreciate it if you can get these links to work. Let me know either way. Thanks.

Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads.kmz
"https://sites.google.com/site/fooswolf/home/colorado-google-kml-files/Colorado%20Motorcycle%20%26%204WD%20Roads.kmz?attr edirects=0&d=1"

Hartman Rocks - Gunnison
"https://sites.google.com/site/fooswolf/home/colorado-google-kml-files/HartmanRocks.kmz?attredirects=0&d=1"

Ridgeway SingleTrack
"https://sites.google.com/site/fooswolf/home/colorado-google-kml-files/Ridgeway%20SingleTrack.kmz?attredirects=0&d=1"

Dan

Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Dan, I'm not much of a computer/GPS guy. I'm a map guy who only uses a GPS when the map and actual trail/track features on the scene don't jive. I don't use GPS tracks. I do use Google Earth quite a bit when I'm at home planning a trip and when I'm back home following up on an area in question. I am old school for the most part, but I know many of the particulars in these areas over many years of traveling in them. I have many, many maps with FR, FT, and county road numbers. And you're right, if a person could have only one source of off road info, the Gazetteer has an amazing amount of correct trail and backcountry info. I've done many remote off road sections using nothing but a page out of the Gaz...and my handheld GPS loaded with topos as backup. The Gaz doesn't always distinguish well enough between a major hiking trail vs. a dual-use motorized trail, however.

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip Preperations