Clutch cable, no slack 2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch cable, no slack 2006

My 2006 KLX doesn't have any slack int he clutch cable. The adjusters are turned all the way in, but it still doesn't have any slack. There is just enough play to make it work but if feels as if something is wrong.

I bought the bike used last year and when it was on the old clutch it also didn't have any slack. I burned this clutch out and replaced it and the clutch wound up the same, no slack.

Some older bikes I have owned had a provision to adjust slack by changing the angle of the lever at the clutch basket, but not so on the KLX.

Does anyone know what can cause this condition?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I would check to ensure that he clutch cable isn't kinked anywhere and the routing of the cable is correct, without any kinks or sharp turns etc. Other thoughts would be something incorrect with the assembly of the clutch. I've replaced one on the 2009 KLX250 my son had, but don't recall the details enough to be able to provide specific points to check for on the assembly.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Taller bars, bar risers or incorrect clutch cable?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this the same clutch cable from the previous clutch job?
Can you adjust the middle of the cable?
Do you even have an adjuster in the middle(somewhere near the radiator)?
If you do, screwing it together makes the housing shorter, effectively lengthening the cable...but you probably already knew that.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I had this same exact problem. So I ended up removing 1/2" of the outer casing/housing. I did this at the center adjustment area so I could slip the cut end into the threaded adjuster ferrel end. It's easy to do if you a Dremel tool with a metal cutting disk. Or, I've used wire cutting pliers/dikes. Either way, be careful not to nick the cable it self.

The PO had a different clutch cable on my bike due to 2" bar risers. The clutch adjuster was all the way in at the lever perch, and all the way in at the center cable adjustment. Still, cable felt tight to pull, and no free play at all. So this didn't release the clutch enough and clutch slipped when gassing it hard. Once I cut that 1/2" of casing off, then adjusted the free play to 1/16" to 1/8", no more slipping.

Last edited by Werloc; 10-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

The cable is long enough. There are no kinks in it. It's fine. I even got a new cable thinking the original owner may have replaced with the wrong cable.

I really cannot figure this out. Short of shortening the cable housing I really cannot understand how to fix this.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to shorten the cable housing. That's why I wrote what I did....LOL Or, at the lever perch, remove the round lock nut on the threaded adjuter. Then turn that threaded adjuster screw all the way in tight. If this now gives you slack/free play, then you can fine tune it at the lower middle adjuster. If not, then cut the housing like I said. No slack/free play will fry your new clutch in no time.

One more way to gain slack instead of shortening the cable housing is, grind what you need off the lower cable mounting bracket. Remove from front where the cable casing sits. This is the easiest way, but will now not work with another cable. If your not clear what I mean, I can post a pic.

Last edited by Werloc; 10-07-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Sure its not due to running the kx125 clutch?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

You said this same condition existed when you first got the bike...used I'm assuming...with what you believe to be the OEM clutch. Had anyone...previous owner, shop, etc...been into this clutch before you got the bike? It sounds like some OEM component was not installed to spec after some work or modification. Then when you did the KX clutch, the same condition still exists. I'm assuming you studied a parts diagram or shop manual to insure all components present are in the right order and/or in the correct direction. Some of these clutches have shafts, spacers, pushrods, etc. that may require one direction only upon installation. Are you sure yours is correct?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Are you sure yours is correct?
Yes I am sure it's all correct. The clutch works fine. Everything went together as it should. This isn't the first clutch I have put in. I haven't done a lot of them but a few...

I brought it by my mechanic today as I happened to be out that way. His son, Adam, was working with him and Adam used to work at the local Kawasaki dealer as a mechanic. So, he'd done a lot of those clutches. There is a little bit of slack with all the adjusters screwed all the way down.

That clutch mechanism is really simple and, for the post part that I can tell, it's not possible to assemble it wrong and have it go back together and work.

Indeed what I presume was the stock clutch had the same condition.

In thinking about it I wonder if the short arm at the top of the actuator lever/shaft could have slipped? It looks like it's pinned in there. Another poster said he had the same condition that I do. Maybe their arm slipped too?

At any rate there is enough slack (a tiny amount) so the lever moves a few mm before cable pulls the actuator arm. So, for now it is OK. I would like to compare the actuator to another one but don't feel like taking it apart as it works fine.

Quick Reply: Clutch cable, no slack 2006