Chain and sprocket advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Chain and sprocket advice

Its that time when the chain and sprockets are due for renewal.
Im just having a little trouble finding a set thats basicaly a like for like change.

Im not too interested in going up or down any teeth, the stock setup is perfectly fine for me.

Ive found two sets, are these something that would be compatible as well as a quality build?

KAWASAKI KLX 250 S TCF 2012 PBR / EK CHAIN & SPROCKETS KIT 520 PITCH O-RING | eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-K...item5d464c5844

All help & advice is appreciated, thanks guys

Last edited by zl PINHEAD lz; 03-02-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

The top link looks like a decent kit-just be aware that it uses a rivet link so you will need the tool to stake the master link. EK makes decent chains and I have no experience with PBR sprockets-probably ok.
The bottom link has JT products- I have used their sprockets for years. Also be aware that the kit listed is for a standard chain(not o-ring sealed) so it will wear MUCH faster compared to the oe sealed chain. Don't know if you have access to the Bikemaster line but I've used their chains with very good results. BikeMaster 520 BMOR Series O-Ring Chain - BikeBandit.com

Old 03-08-2015, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Not sure if you still need suggestions but I just replaced all my junk. Sorry I can't give you any web sites because I ordered my parts at the dealer. I went with steel sprockets from Sunstar and a DID X ring chain. The chain was a 106 link and the gears looked like a carbon copy of the stockers. It all fit perfectly plus it's all smooth and quiet. If you need part numbers I could find them.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Pinhead, unless you just can't spare the money do not buy the non-O-ring chain. Do buy the O-ring or X-ring type chain. O-ring will last far longer as long as you don't pressure wash the chain. I have not heard of PBR sprockets, but mostly have done JT or Sunstar. I would not be afraid to run them after visiting their web site, looks like a quality operation involved in racing.

Last edited by klx678; 03-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Pinhead, unless you just can't spare the money do not buy the non-O-ring chain. Do buy the O-ring or X-ring type chain. O-ring will last far longer as long as you don't pressure wash the chain. I have not heard of PBR sprockets, but mostly have done JT or Sunstar. I would not be afraid to run them after visiting their web site, looks like a quality operation involved in racing.
Thanks for the help guys, I went for the D.I.D chain with JT sprockets in the end.
Money is a bit tight this atm moment with going away shortly abroad but did mange to find this set.

Kawasaki KLX 250 S 12 DID Chain and JT Sprocket Kit Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer

The description of the chain is very brief and doesn't say what type of chain it is.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, I need to order some sprockets as they are showing wear.

I'm up to speed on pedal bike chains/sprockets, but MOTO's?????

What is the SOP? Do you guys always change both sprockets and chains? Or is there a case to be made just to do only the sprockets? or only the chain?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the O-Ring chain.. I guess us old guys know - spending for the 0-Ring saves a LOT of money..

Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

O-Ring is the ONLY way to go, period. Stay away from the el-cheapo ones on ebay. Ebay is fine if you get a quality brand like DID, EK, RK, etc.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
+1 on the O-Ring chain.. I guess us old guys know - spending for the 0-Ring saves a LOT of money..
And effort. I remember back in the day when I'd remove the chain, wash it with gasoline or solvent, hang to dry, soak in my mix of warmed oil/STP, then hang it to drip off, and reinstall a few days later. Go ride - repeat.

God bless the Z1 and CB750 for stressing old style chains so bad that something had to be done and the O-ring chain was developed for them. You could waste a standard chain on a Z1 in less than 1000 miles, they ran that hot and hard. The lube could work out of them fast. I never saw it, but supposedly it was possible to run the chains so hard they'd start to glow from the heat.

Now we all reap the benefits.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, I may be due for renewal on the chain/sprockets. I'm going to do the full package.

My rear sprocket is a little pointy. @1/8" from the point (full height) the teeth are about 1/8" thick. It looks a little too pointy, but can I go down to where they are 1/16" thick. Or just do it?

Quick Reply: Chain and sprocket advice