buying and installing a gps power source

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default buying and installing a gps power source

i need to install a power source for my gps... anything recommended/preferred for the klx?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Straight off the battery with its own dedicated fused wiring.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah right off the battery with a fuse, you could add a relay if you only wanted power with the key on like I did for my heated grips.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Also to add, it sounds like you're asking for a specific receptacle too, correct? That will depend on how/where you want to mount such a device and could even be affected by the type of GPS and its power plug-in design.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Or, switched power off the ignition switch.
A GPS should take very little power so pulling from the switched circuit shouldn't overwhelm it. But if you want more serious power (e.g., heated gear), I think a good solution would be a line direct from the battery, fused of course, and if you want switched power to lessen the chance of battery drain when you forget to turn the gear off, us a relay off the switched power circuit to kick on/off the new circuit.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got my gps mounted in a way im happy with and am sick of recharging batteries and switching on the trail. can anyone explain how to use a relay to wire in? Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

tusk works great
Amazon.com: Tusk 12 Volt Power Socket: Automotive Amazon.com: Tusk 12 Volt Power Socket: Automotive

pros: very easy to install...water tight cover...works great...cons: the cover is rubber and can flap in the wind....the wire is too short and you'll need extra wire to extend...you might need road bike spacers to have it sit little higher if the bottom doesn't clear... http://static.jensonusa.com/images/O...m/G0000GA2.jpg

if you install usb power plug or usb converter plug...you should wire in a switch...it will slowly draw power from the battery....

Last edited by ahnh666; 04-24-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
if you install usb power plug or usb converter plug...you should wire in a switch...it will slowly draw power from the battery....
This is what I did to address the USB power draw.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-switch-38354/

Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Brien - thanks to the link to your other thread.

If there are any others that you all are aware of, please post them up or pm me. I plan to install a switched remote power supply on relay on the KLR, and maybe KLX, at some point. I'll link the other threads in here: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

Right now, I have pigtails off the batteries of my power toys to easily connect the battery tender. I can use these pigtails to plug in a cigar lighter receptacle for charging the go-pro, phone, etc. But it's not a great solution for on the trail connection to GPS and isn't switched.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I put a cig plug up by the headlight, wired to the battery. My GPS is powered off a phone charger plugged into that. I have it wired 100% hot, no switch, I previously had it with the key, but I hate always having to turn the GPS back on after each time you stop on the trail or hit the starter.... I just leave it on all the time while riding.
When you get home unplug the phone charger or it may drain your battery if you don't drive everyday.

Quick Reply: buying and installing a gps power source