Brake pads - Pros cons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 08:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake pads - Pros cons?

Seems there's cheapy to pricey options when it comes to pads. What's the bang-for-the-buck curve look like here? My bike has OEM rotors and I ride it hard both with 21"/18"wheelset and a 17" motard setup. Go cheap or spring for the best?

-------------
Thoughts from 2013 https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ke-pads-40098/

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_pr...price-asc-rank

OEM $55fr $60r http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...8762#sch638472

Last edited by klx-vn; 03-04-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Buy the OEM. There has been a lot of testing done by Kawasaki to ensure they perform well. Cheap pads are just that, cheap. Most are manufactured in China, won't last as long as the OEM's, won't brake as well, and can even shorten the life of your rotor. That being said there are good aftermarket companies that sell pads that perform well but they're not cheap but tend to wear the rotor faster.

Some will suggest getting braided stainless steel brake lines. They do result in a better "feel" on the brake lever but won't increase the performance of the pads.

Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 03-04-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
Buy the OEM. ... That being said there are good aftermarket companies that sell pads that perform well but they're not cheap but tend to wear the rotor faster.
OEM appear to be $115 at bike Bandit - the most expensive so far.

Rotor wear - How fast can a cheap set of pads wear out a rotor? 20,000 vs 40,000+ miles for OEM miles? I don't see that as a big issue.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

IMO, with the minimal top speed and light weight of the bike I think any brake pad would suffice.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I understand wanting to save on brake pads but if you have already made up your mind why are you asking? Some pads will wear rotors faster than OE. Cheap pads tend to wear quicker and don't perform as well.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
I understand wanting to save on brake pads but if you have already made up your mind why are you asking? Some pads will wear rotors faster than OE. Cheap pads tend to wear quicker and don't perform as well.
The only thing my mind is made up on is the belief some people just parrot generalizations they've they've heard elsewhere. Again, OEM appear to be the most expensive option so far... Shocker. A cheap set of organic/carbon pads will not wear out the rotors faster than a set of sintered. Semi-sintered? Best of both worlds or double trouble?

Old 03-04-2016, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx-vn
The only thing my mind is made up on is the belief some people just parrot generalizations they've they've heard elsewhere. Again, OEM appear to be the most expensive option so far... Shocker. A cheap set of organic/carbon pads will not wear out the rotors faster than a set of sintered. Semi-sintered? Best of both worlds or double trouble?
Yes and no.... Many times cheap pads are made with inferior materials, so in theory, yes, they can wear out rotors faster... But imho that would be on fast, hard braking, such as on a sport bike or heavy bike...

I've always used EBC semi sintered.... Mid pack price wise, good bang for your bike, and I've never worn out a rotor. This has been on 7 bikes. Not an expert opinion by any means, just my personal preference.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx-vn
Your Amazon link shows brake pads for $5.70. Go get em.

Not really generalizing, speaking from 40 years plus of motorcycle ownership and also an auto technician. There is an amazing amount of research and development that goes into brake pads. That's what your paying for and the quality. You don't have to buy OEM but always buy from a well known company.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I always use sintered pads on all my motorbikes (street and dirt) and all my bicycles (road and Mountain). Best in all conditions wet or dry. I am not worried about rotor ware.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is my take on it.

Do you go buy OEM pads for your car? I can almost guarantee that you don't!

So why blow more on OEM pads for your bike?

Quick Reply: Brake pads - Pros cons?