Anyone add a centerstand? Good idea or not and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Question Anyone add a centerstand? Good idea or not and why?

Per the title, has anyone added a centerstand to their KLX250? Why would it be a bad idea, or why is it a good idea?

Thanks for your time!

Old 03-27-2016, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Why do you want one? OK for street riding but I wouldn't want onr for of road.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I know KLR riders and others who do so. the "adventure bike" guys. The more performace minded duall sport/off road riders see it as unnecessary added weight. Some adv bike guys want all the goodies they can get as well as foreseeing possible situations where an item might come in handy. The dual sport/off road rider would tend to go for less added weight, figuring they can lay the bike on its side or prop it up some way if neede in some rare circumstance. Those are the stereotypical cases.

I will point out the one other plus for the center stand for the adventure rider would be the capability to stand the bike straight up while loading or jus to take the load off the sidestand when parked.

That's not to say itis foolish or useless, just saying what I have observed. if the plan is to be pepared for everything or to have every possible farkle do it. it is your choice, plain and simple.

Only other issue would be if anyone makes them.

My personal type of riding thought process at the moment, would nix tbe centerstand. Never know what the future holds though. I disliked street bikes without centerstands, so it is not that I don't see the.value, just don't see it for my kind of situation. You evaluate yours..

Old 03-30-2016, 02:10 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

How about a trailstand?
http://www.endurostar.com

Old 03-30-2016, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

That is Funky, drm! Thanks for the link.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy
Why do you want one? OK for street riding but I wouldn't want onr for of road.
I plan on riding on and off road, and like the idea of a more stable bike when loading gear and such.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you find one for a KLX, just make absolutely, positively sure that you use a belt-and-suspenders approach on securing that thing in the "up" position. Trail riding can defeat springs and other retention setups for center stands, and you can guess how bad the resulting carnage could be in an unintended stand deployment. Personally I don't think they're worth the weight for the perceived benefit on a bike like the KLX, but that's a preferential call. If you install one, just don't rely solely on whatever retention device the stand is equipped with for the up position. Get an additional retention strap, clamp, or whatever that consists of some "burly" material or design to insure that stand won't drop. Pavement and dirt roads will probably be fine for what the stand comes with for retention, but if you ride real trails with it, make sure it's locked up with an additional method...and check it often.