13/16" between header and coolant hose... !

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 13/16" between header and coolant hose... !

Judging from the way the header pipe heat tries to sear my leg when I take a short ride in shorts-I was thinking the proximity of the coolant hose that runs from the water pump to the RH radiator vs the super hot header must adding a lot of heat to the cooling system.

In fact I can feel the hotter temp difference of the coolant hose at nearest point to the header vs a few inches away on a warmed up engine.

Imagine the heat transfer to the coolant at idle while at a traffic light etc. I don't know how close the stock header pipe is to that coolant hose but this aftermarket header that was on the bike when I got it is super close.

- I think it'd be easier to insulate the hose in that area rather than build a heat shield around the U bend of the header.

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 09-03-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Really funny video Richard...

Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

there is heat tape I got from summit racing you could probably wrap the coolant line with
to reflect the heat

I always ride in shorts, and even with my bomb header that has no heat shield ive never felt much heat, or enough to worry about
What I did notice was its pretty close to some hard oil line but still has clearance
thats what I was going to cover with the tape but never did

I mainly feel the heat blowing out the radiators when moving

Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd think exhaust wrap on the coolant hose would work too. It is just insulating wrap.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I think I'll just cover that hose with a section of larger ID radiator hose off something else that's slitted down the side to allow it to go over the Kaw hose.

It'll act as a heat shield of a sort

Old 09-07-2015, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Advantage of doing the hose instead of the pipe - the hose won't corrode. I think your plan makes sense. The tube would provide insulation and that's the plan, right?

Hey, just registered with me, there is some kind of thin insulation with foil that I've seen on hot water lines in houses. Would that work if you can get it? I don't know what is sandwiched in it so I don't know.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya that's why I'm thinking a slightly loose fitting larger OD hose that will insulate, won't look gaudy, and won't corrode etc

Old 10-15-2015, 06:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally got around to adding a 3.5" long piece of 1.25" ID radiator hose that had been slit length-wise so as to slip over the coolant hose. I may go back and notch it in two places for the two hose clamp heads that are underneath it.

Letting it run on the stand, this cover doesn't heat up at all since there's no coolant directly inside of it to absorb the intense heat. Just an air gap

The cut edges look a little scruffy at this close of a shot but you don't notice it much overall. Guess I could add a couple zip ties, but it'd probably hold itself in place. I'll see if I have any black ones left.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Zip ties (plastic one) might melt being that close to the header? Steel hose clamps might work better?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I decided to just leave it be loose

Quick Reply: 13/16" between header and coolant hose... !