Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

Thinking of buying Mule PRO-FXT but I have some questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:15 AM
Question Thinking of buying Mule PRO-FXT but I have some questions and concerns

I test drove a ’16 Mule PRO-FXT Ranch Edition today and was quite impressed with it. In fact, I’m seriously considering buying it. However, I currently have a ’14 Commander MAX XT and that purchase was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I am trying very hard not to make that same mistake with the Mule.

I’d say that 80% of my riding is trail. Nothing overly technical but it can get a bit interesting after rain. The other 20% would be on a 3,400-acre ranch in Texas which is mostly rocky roads, broad fields, and a couple fairly steep (and rocky) climbs.

The biggest thing I’m worried about is the drive system. I’m not sold on the front (open) diff nor the idea of an open diff on the rear.

I will admit, for as must as I hate my Commander; I’ve never been stuck. Even though I’m not a mud rider I am going to have to deal with deep holes from time-to-time and I just don’t want to be winching myself out every single time.

Question: Has anyone gotten themselves into trouble with the open front diff or been in a situation where people with true lockers were able to traverse terrain that you couldn’t?

I rarely use 4-wheel drive but when I need it, I really need it. I want to make sure the Mule can deliver.

The rear drive is a bit perplexing to me. An open rear diff is great for a tighter turning radius and less wear-and-tear but I’m having a hard time understanding the benefits of an open rear diff if the majority (if not all) of riding is off the main roads.

Questions:
  1. How much time do you actually spend riding with the diff unlocked?
  2. What kind of terrain do you ride when the diff is unlocked?
  3. How easy does it lose traction in sand, water (slippery rocks), and wet fields when the diff is unlocked?

I’m completely torn on this purchase so I’d love to hear your opinions and stories. The one thing I keep thinking about, is if the Mule had the same drive system as the Teryx I would have been sold right-then-and-there. (BTW, I did look at the Teryx4 LE but I didn't like it too much)

Thanks!!!

Last edited by MagellanTX; 06-05-2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 AM

I am new to ATVs. I bought a Mule FXT-PRO EPS for hunting hogs and prairie dogs. On a recent WY trip I put 78 miles on it over a 7 day period. Previous 4wd experience taught me that it is best to have all required traction engaged before you need it rather than after. I traveled ranch two track roads with the differential locked and then went to 4wd when traveling up or down steep grades. I would guess I spent maybe 15% of those miles with 2wd and differential unlocked and maybe 25% with all wheels engaged, including the differential.
I have to no experience to answer question 3.
I did note that the milage in my 2014 Silverado 1500 dropped to around 10 mpg when trailering the Mule.

All in all, I am pleased with the Mule; used much less gas than I thought, was a softer ride than I thought, and it is quieter than I thought it would be.

I did add a front bumper with receiver and a steel hard top, both solid purchases.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 AM

I just traded in my 2013 Mule 4010 on a 2016 Pro FXT at dealership. Funny part is I haven't even test drove it yet. Supposed to pick it up Tuesday. Give me a week or two and I can give you a report on how it does and how I like it. Even though my other dealer service folks put a new throttle body and a couple of sensors in the 2013 it still operates clunky sometimes. I mean jerking forward and having dead spots in the throttle at low rpm's. I figure the best thing is to just get rid of it.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:10 AM

Have had mine for 2 weeks. Bought it used with 20hrs on it. Sold my Can am Maverick because it was useless at home. I run the diff unlocked around the house so it doesn't tear up my grass or gravel. I think I'm going to love this mule, just installed a 4500lb superwinch $199 and KFI mounting plate $55. Rode around with 5 adults in it and loved it.