Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

T E X T M E S S A G I N G

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default T E X T M E S S A G I N G

Text messaging while driving.

Sounds a little bit dumb huh? Apparently, It's becoming a very serious problem here, in the states according to a news story I saw on TV today. (This is me shaking my head) I just don't get people. There is only so far that multitasking can go before you become dangerous to others as well as yourself. I personally feel that cell phones have got to be banned while people are driving. It just makes me sick to think there are people out there driving a four thousand pound DEATH MACHINE on wheels while being oblivious to everything around them. And of course everyone also has that arrogant attitude that they are somehow different, and can handle driving while doing 25,000 other things. I know that I could text message somebody on my phone while driving if I wanted to, but I RESPECT the lives of other drivers. Therefore my mind stays on the road, and not on my phone!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: T E X T M E S S A G I N G

You are assuming that most folks are actually remotely considerate of those other people around them.

Long and short of it - they are not.

This is something I learned while I was still unfortunate enought o be working in retail:

Everyone walks through life feeling no need or responsibility to be aware of what is going on around them, yet they expect everyone else around to be fully aware of who they are and what they are doing.

Nice double-standard, eh?

So sad...

Old 10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Well if it doesn't go there way you can always sue someone. what the hell is that all about. sue someone for your own stupidity come on.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

You know what is funny is the show Myth Busters proved that it is more dangerous to drive while talking on a cell phone than it is to drive while intoxicated. I can not remember what the BAC was but is was well over the legal limit.

Another thing what the hell is up with California law makers? They just passed a law stating that it will be illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving UNLESS it is on hands free. WTF!!! Here is the kicker, the law doesn’t take effect for two years. Double WTF!!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 06:35 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I thought the law was going to go into effect on jan 01/07? I see so many people on phones when i ride the worst is when they are on the phone in traffic then try to jump over a lane while your spliting and almost plow into you[:@]

Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 AM

I saw some dumbass lady on the Highway with one hand holding a cigarette out the window and the other hand and her eyes on the cell phone (I guess dialing a number or something).

Old 10-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I didn't think the problem was so much holding the phone, it's diverting your attention from driving to the conversation which is so dangerous. So I don't see how hand-free phones help all that much. People drive one-handed all the time. Put'em on a cell phone talking about whatever and then they start plowing through intersections at full speed running red lights because their mind is elsewhere. It has nothing to do with whether a phone is in their hand or not. Unless they drop it and decide to duck under the dash to pick it up, Ok, that can be a problem. [:@]

Old 10-24-2006, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah thats pretty much the jist of it although i do think it is easier to do both with handsfree because it does allow you to have the extra hand if u need and makes it one less thing to have to think about

Old 10-25-2006, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

i totaly agree with you. when you are on a cell phone you dont give enough attn to the road or others around.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

It is against the law to talk on a mobile phone without a handsfree here in NSW Australia, however I see people do it all the time. Texting is also I presume illegal.