Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Swine Flu.....lets check the facts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Swine Flu.....lets check the facts

First of all, why is the media so flipping stupid when it comes to this stuff? Don't they have anything better to talk about? They are all about the flavor of the week rather than talk about something really important. "Wash your hands all of the sudden is so important" Hello Mcfly, it always has been a good practice.

What they don't tell you is that there are 35,000 people that die every year from the regular flu. Where is that story? Yea they leave that part out. As Jay Leno would say "Shut Up!"

Comments, facts, and concerns?

Disclaimer: No pigs were hurt in the making of this thread, well not counting the ones that were killed in order to bring bacon and pork chops to my fridge.

And in conclusion: well I don't have a conclusion, but just wanted to say my piece and move on.

Last edited by deej; 05-01-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe its becuase history repeats its self,, read this

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2...-from-the-flu/

me Im scared ****less. My parents want to go to NC for the Week and ive been tryin to talk them out of it,, I dont care what anybody says yes it is the flu and yes it is worse than we are used to.. So IDK just check out that article

Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Right but 32,000 is nothing comparied to 22 million from all the other epidemics in the past,, Just throwing that out there

Old 05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Hyper-hype

Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

just because hella peeps died in mexico *because of no health care* everyone here is freaking out. i agree if the damm media would hush up a little it would'nt be so bad.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, those Mexicans probably just swig some tequila and hope they get better, instead of going to the doctor. In third world county's, the doctors suck!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Great... another site with this crap on it. Dammit.

Alright... here is the deal people...

1> Yes it is real, and yes you should be concerned. Take all the measures you would normally take to avoid flu-time infection. Essentially - stay clean, healthy, and mind your exposure.

2> While it is real - 95% of it is MEDIA PANIC. The media has been on a kick the last 10 years about scaring the living **** out of people with "end of the world" and "the next black plague" fear mongering. Cases in point:

* Avian Flu
* Mad Cow
* Ebola
* West Nile
* SARS

All very real, all very deadly, all very forecasted to wipe out half the planet, all causing massive panic attacks on a global scale, all amounting to honestly not a hell of a lot.

Yes, people died from these things. I'm sorry. People are gonna die from strange stuff now and again. That doesn't mean you ram a global scale panic attack down the throats of all of civilization. Here's another one... HIV/AIDS. Remember how that was supposed to be the Black Plague of the 80's and 90's and was gonna make the universe fall in on itself? Yeah - a whole bunch of people died all around the globe, and while it is very sad - it was also necessary for the human race to learn a lesson or three. But guess what? You and I are still here... and we are pretty healthy.

You want facts? Try this...

FACT: More people will die in the US this weekend alone from Drunk Driving incidents than around the entire globe from H1N1 over the coming year.

FACT: Of the 300 suspected cases of H1N1 in Mexico City, all of 12 have died from it. (Mexico City has over 20,000,000 residents. Yes - twenty million.)

FACT: Mexico's Secretary of Health Jose Angel Cordova says that the spread of the flu has slowed dramatically and is continuing to stabilize.

FACT: The number of reported suspect cases has decreased by nearly 75% - from 212 on April 20 to 46 as of yesterday. (Mexico)

FACT: Of the last 77 suspected people tested only 2 were to have the virus. (Mexico)

FACT: Spreading of the H1N1 in the US now out-paces the growth rate in Mexico - both of which are quite limited.

FACT: The WHO stated earlier today that the spreading of the virus is not nearly as high as they thought it would be, and while we are not out of the woods yet, there is no cause for panic on a global-scale. They are also considering lowering the level back to 4 due to the slowed growth and the fact that the majority of the people infected who are being treated with typical flu remedies are beating it and not suffering further health consequences - up to and including death.

EDIT FACT: There are more cases in Europe than there are in South and Central America and both the WHO and the CDC are researching the strong possibility that it actually originated there and not in Mexico - a fact which has been strangely absent from most mainstream media.

Now... calm the **** down, wash your hands, take vitamins and supplements, and go on about your lives. Keep an ear to the pavement, yes - but don't clean out the shelves of your local Piggly Wiggly and start taping plastic over your doors.

That is all.

Last edited by srobak; 05-01-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I just bought some extra orange juice, and loaded my guns in case some hispanic banditos come to raid my food, and give me the swine flu

Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Sro for that, my sentiments exactly. As for you Worlok, maybe its the Hispanics that should protect themselves from what they might catch from you. Yeee Haaa. Have a good weekend all, I'm gonna ride.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Nicely said Sro!!!!!!!!! I am sick of hearing about this pig flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Swine Flu.....lets check the facts