Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

New Toy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default New Toy

Hey folks, I figured it was about time I came clean with the rest of you. The beatings in the KLX section have subsided a bit, so I guess I'll break the news here and maybe not have to fend off two fronts.

I'd been thinking about one of these for some time and last weekend while travelling with my wife, we stopped in into an MC dealership out of state just to kill some time and look around. They had an 07 KTM 525EXC on the floor which is a street legal enduro. I'd always assumed it would be too tall for me, but when I sat on it it felt great - not too tall at all, just a hair taller than my KLX. I practically drooled all over that poor bike, I'm sure the dealer had to take it in the back and wash it afterwards.

Fast forward a week or so and I can't stop thinking about that bike. I figured I'd upgrade to one in a year or two, but having such a close encounter with one made me want to accelerate that schedule. So I starting shopping around here in NC and found one not too far away that was a great deal. So, long story short, here she is:

Whoops, where'd that mud come from??

For some more photos, see here:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/fb.asp?m=119034

So ... now to the bad news. I can't afford both it and the KLX, so I've sold the KLX. And the good news on that is that my KLX, 331cc overbore, Keihin 35mm pumper carb, all the goodies and bling is staying in the KF family. One of the forum members bought it - DirtSurfer. Delivery in May at the NE ride at the Pine Barrens in New Jersey.

And just for those of you who thought you were getting rid of me since I won't have a Kawasaki, too bad. Gotrice rides a Buell and we can't get rid of him, so you are stuck with me, too.

And I meant that in the nicest way, Gotrice.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Toy

I guess we'll still talk to you.

If you ever get tired of that bike, let me know!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 AM

LOL i sat on one of those also. I want one!!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

At first I thought this was another "shiny new toy story", more popular outside these forums, but when I saw dirt in the end pictures I can't complain. Congrats on the new wheels!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

yeah, no doubt man, that ktm is bad ***. and probley has a ton more power then the old kawi. im not hating, nice bike. throw some street tires on that thing and have a blast.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:06 AM

congrats bro ur still a brotha if ur still ridiing have fun with her

Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks, it is a blast and it would be a riot with motard trim. It's got some serious grunt. It's taken me a few days to get it set up the way I want. I rejetted with a JD Jet Kit which was great, de-smog'd, and removed the tailpipe restrictor, changed the final drive gearing to something more sane for off-road, and today pulled the wheels and installed some Bridgestone Ultra-Duty tubes with dual opposing rim locks. Those tubes are nearly 5mm thick, crazy stuff. Hopefully that will make the likelihood of a flat a whole lot less, cause it's a real b*tch getting the rubber on and off. Probably don't really need two rim locks but without the 2nd one the tire is off-balance and you can feel the front end shaking at 50 MPH and higher.

I just had it out for a little spin after all that and it's feeling real good now. It tracks great off-road, the suspension is stiff but pretty awesome, very confidence inspiring. Just gotta get a skid plate and hand guards and I think it'll be good to go.

Oh, Evil, once again, nice avatar.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

i love the color scheme ktm is a good company too. that must have some serious tork

Old 03-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey, check the tool kit, they thought of everything:

Even this, ha ha, don't want to be stuck along the trail and not have a way to open your brew ... lol:

Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the toy. You remember when I too was trying to get that used 450 ktm a few months ago that did not pan out. They are nice rides and fairly easy to work on.

Quick Reply: New Toy