Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

New California Law “Muffles” Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Its also about TOTAL control. Instead of enforcing current laws, libs always write new ones with more and more restrictions yet claim they are "tolerant". I wonder if the "diverse" late great state of CA is as aggressive over rap and hip-hop being played at 130 dbs? That's probably considered "too sensitive" to touch.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

received noise violation ticket for the car in the past in california...cop has a choice between giving a $20 fix-it ticket...or, a couple $hundred fine...i ended up getting the huge fine...basically a cop can write a ticket if he feels a vehicle is in violation...it's up to you to prove him wrong....i actually took the time to get it tested (it's not illegal to fix or replace a muffler or exhaust pipe)...they actually have to stand pretty far away with the sound meter...basically i had to do full throttle....i wasn't even close to the noise violation limits...the next test...they put the sound meter near the exit of the muffler...and measure sound at idle and light gas...i wasn't even close to the illegal limits...a vehicle would need to be crazy loud...straight pipe to fail the sound tests....

Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

A loud pipe in the desert makes the scrub brush sad. Do you want sad brush?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
A loud pipe in the desert makes the scrub brush sad. Do you want sad brush?
Lawmakers in California are spending $125 million to enact a law to save the Scrub Brush.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 05-05-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

If they had any brains they'd start making money from it by selling "sound". You pay $10 plus an incremetal additional surcharge for every decible over stock that you want to go, then have a way to check it with a meter at a prescribed distance. Make a license plate sticker using color code to designate the amount of noise paid for. Maybe end up charging a grand for 100+ dB. I'm betting many would be willing to pay a bit for better sound and performance up to maybe $50-75 a year. That would be possible up to about 93 dB without peeving the masses and costing the buyer too much. Sure could cut out a lot of the straight pipe crowd and maybe help their budget.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If they had any brains they'd start making money from it by selling "sound". You pay $10 plus an incremetal additional surcharge for every decible over stock that you want to go, then have a way to check it with a meter at a prescribed distance. Make a license plate sticker using color code to designate the amount of noise paid for. Maybe end up charging a grand for 100+ dB. I'm betting many would be willing to pay a bit for better sound and performance up to maybe $50-75 a year. That would be possible up to about 93 dB without peeving the masses and costing the buyer too much. Sure could cut out a lot of the straight pipe crowd and maybe help their budget.
That's just more laws and more fees and more state employees and their thug unions.Just enforce the basic laws.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kojack06
That's just more laws and more fees and more state employees and their thug unions.Just enforce the basic laws.
Well, I guess they just made it real easy for you - exhaust with epa stamp or a fine. One law, only need the cops to pull you over for whatever and you're burnt. All I was pointing out is that they could actually make some money off this whole aftermarket pipe thing.

Get off the thug union crap too. It's been decades since there have actually been union thugs. I remember when the UMWA and Teamsters wouldn't heasitate to rap off a few shots to open some eyes. Just before May 4th at Kent State there was a trucker's strike where shots WERE fired, not rocks thrown from 75 yards, but actual gun fire - the National Guard did not return gunfire... apparently saving it for students with rocks nearly a football field length away.

Remember one thing, I pay your wages too. Just not directly. If you've ever heard of the Six Degrees of Separation you will realize that I, as a public school teacher paid by LOCAL taxes, spend my money at some private business where someone spends their pay at another business, and within six exchanges some of my income is paying YOU! Who knows, maybe my State Teachers Retirement investments are invested in work that involves you. Not to mention any governmental contracts that may relate to your work. Think about it.