Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

My next bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My next bike?

You must have a gold Wing pilots licence to know that Kohb. I think that thing has switches for other switches that control even more switches. If one switch goes bad the entire bike shuts down and you call a wrecker, a big one!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

PS.........Deej

I think that Gold Wing is dangerous. I would get to looking at all of those switches and probably run into the back of an 18 wheeler! Get something without all of those switches.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Another reason to like the older models, less to be distracted by.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

gold wings are good touring bikes - they are cross coutry worthy for sure.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

the sport bike got schooled by a gw

Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej - seriously man - go ride the current generation.

Buttons: they have reduced the number of buttons for the current generation vs. the 1500 that Deej has been posting, but there are still a lot.

Just a short rundown of some of the factory buttons & features...

heated grips
heated seats
intercom driver/passenger, plus volume controls
am/fm w/ 18 presets
6 disc
xm
cb
aux/mp3 hookup
weather band
4 speakers with automatic volume
Garmin GPS (06+)
cruise control (full, electronic, like in your car... set, resume, accel/decel, cancel)
reverse
ride height/preload adjust with memory
alarm
remote saddlebags/trunk
full trip computer
headlight adjust (electronic/electric)
foot heater control
fog lights

Plus all your regular switches... headlights, turn signals, 4-ways, start, kill, etc...

Some other cool items...

Air bag
ABS, and yes it works.
2 full-face helmets will fit in the top trunk.
You can get fitted luggage for the side bags and trunk, so you don't have to try cramming and bending gym bags and whatnot. This means pull in to where you are going, pop all 3 trunks, pull out 3 bags, put in 2 helmets, close trunks, chirp, go inside.
You can put a luggage rack on top of the center trunk to put a decent sized gym bag on if you must take more stuff.
There are small armrests for the passenger in which the rear speakers are also in. There is a small compartment under each armrest big enough for a can of coke, or a slightly curled paperback book.
The rear passenger has large footpads, not pegs... so they can reposition their feet and not be overly confined. Honestly as a passenger, you feel like you are leaning back slightly in a recliner.
The shape of the lumbar support for the driver also holds the passenger back and prevents them from coming forward onto the driver, even under hard braking.
You can get a hitch and trailer and tow several hundred pounds.
The windscreen is adjustable about 6 inches in height - though it is still manual. (The ST-1300 is electric, and 8 inches)
Windscreen also has a large, adjustable vent to allow air straight in on the driver, for those that like to drive in the wind
Turn signals are integrated into the mirror shroud
Integrated chrome framework to prevent damage and the bike from going completely over if you dump under 30mph.
It is REALLY comfortable for both driver and passenger, and uber quiet too, and the ride quality rivals most 6 figure luxocars.
100,000 mile maintenance free drivetrain (shaft)

The best way to describe this in short is to take a Mercedes 500 S class, chop the top off and the doors, and give it 2 wheels. Yes, it is THAT nice.

There is one of these in my future... probably within 3 years. This fall I am getting an ST1300 though... a baby goldwing

Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firstninjabike

the sport bike got schooled by a gw
Those were both Goldwings, including the camera bike.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow I didn't realize they had that much, but the difference in price is huge. Plus I'm broke, and getting a loan is not an option, I'm trying to downsize not get farther into debt. 12 payments left on the truck, and 15 left on the car, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. That will be like getting an $800.00 raise, I can't wait. But who knows in the future I might lean toward the Newer model. Although $1500 for that older one would work just fine for me.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to mention - in Europe - they have special contraptions that replace the trunks from which a set of tow bars unfolds. Yes - they use Goldwings there to tow illegally parked cars. A Goldwing tow truck.

This just cracks me up...

Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej, yes it costs a few bucks... that's why I buy used hehehe.

Quick Reply: My next bike?