Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

My New Theatre System thus Far

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
MI just realized tonight that my Dish receiver doesn't have an HDMI connection, so now what? I paid a lot of money for an HDTV so what do I do now? Any thoughts?
Sure I'll give ya some thoughts

1st ... what inputs does your tv have?? vga perhaps?

If your TV/Monitor has vga cable, you will not notice the difference between HDMI and vga. I know from recent personal experience. I tried both connections on my 28" lcd monitor for my puter and could notice no difference....although theoritically it would be better to go HDMI only....so you do not convert a digital signal to analog then back to digital....but I could not notice any difference in High Def.

I just put a digital tuner card in my pc at my warehouse so I could watch FREE OVER AIR HIGH DEF TV.....its freeking awesome

I now get 56 digital channels for FREE ..... on my crappy warehouse puter with a 28" monitor....now I tinker on my toys with CRYSTAL CLEAR TV in the background.

Shoot I watched the Gator game in FREE High Def on my puter till halftime .... then went home....My FREE over air high def picture was better than my cable feed at home.

F' Cable and Dish

Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

nice deej.....u know, they make wireless speakers. lol

Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea they make wireless but you still have to add another component to the rear and front which adds to all the crap and they do get interference. A friend of mine has them and he says he wishes that he had the hard wired speakers now.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

aaaaahhhhhhh......figured the technology would be better...

Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej likes running wires!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

And they call me Mr Sparky.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

A friend of mine came over and rescued me, it seems that I needed a digital optical cable to finish everything up. Here is the project finally done. I got so borrow a Blu-Ray to see what it looks like and all I can say is WOW!!!

Name:  P1158582.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  38.6 KB

Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually, if you are using TOSLink (optical) cables, there are several surround formats you cannot use, including: Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD-HR, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD-MA.

They can only support 16bit sound, not 24bit. Most HT junkies either run 6 or 7 channel analog, or run their surround audio over the HDMI in order to take advantage of all the newer and HD sound formats.

Drop me a line if you need pointers or info.

Part of my setup:

Westinghouse 42in 1080i (p looks marginaly better, not worth the extra $)
(Soon to be replaced by a Mitsubishi 73in)
Harman Kardon AVR 645 7.1 receiver
Klipsch RF-35 mains
Klipsch RC-62 center
Klipsch RS-42 surrounds (improperly placed in pic to show)
Klipsch RS-62 rears (not pictured)
Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 650w sub
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD with 1080 upscaler (makes regular dvds look better than evne Oppo's best upscaler)
Pioneer LaserDisc (forget model)
Lite-On DVD recorder
Sony Minidisc[/QUOTE]

Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey I don't know about all that, all I know is that last night we watched Transformers and it makes me not want to go to a theatre ever again, 5.1 all around, there were sounds coming from all different directions and from the right direction. It was DA BOMB..THE SHAZIZZLE, AND THE SHIZNIT ALL ROLLED INTO ONE! We also watched something from Netflix through the X-Box and it was near DVD quality. I am so pumped, its like my old system was an 8 track and I just got my first CD LOL

Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

By the way the ceiling is not curved, I don't know why it looks that way in the picture. Oh and we watched a little off a Blu-Ray and I have to say, it makes the picture so clear that its like looking at a brand new salt water fish tank. Dang! Now I need to decide between watching TV and riding my KLX. This is not fair.......oh yea that's why we have the night. Its God's way of saying movie time.

Quick Reply: My New Theatre System thus Far