Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

My buddy's first bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My buddy's first bike

i don't wear any gear aside from a helmet yet but that's cuz i just don't have the money yet. yes, it feels good just cruisin on the bike but it's also very scary knowing that if and when u go down it's gonna take it out of your hide instead of your jacket. hence why i have a scar or two already from it. i just pray when he starts, he starts slow and safe if nothing else.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, Michigan has a helmet law. And I can say that he'll probably wear a jacket mostly because I'd shame him into it. But who knows about anything else, and I think I may show him this thread. But, I have found some things that are actually pretty interesting to show him. Hey, I can link it to you guys too. I'll spare you all the accident pictures because you've probably all seen your share and they're gruesome. But, check this out. Pretty interesting read.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 54 and got my license 12 months ago. Itook the MSF class and listened closely
I was going to get a very small bike but was convinced to go with at least a 600

I ended up with the '81 KZ 750 LTD which is not huge but seemed like it after learning on the small bikes they teach on

I have dropped it a few times and fortunately, am able to pick it up.
I got my leg pinned under it on one occasion and had a hell of a time getting out from under and picking it up

I have since graduated to a H-D Sportster (883) which is still not a big bike but I managed to drop that also (once)
Again - fortunately, I was able to pick it up -- but -- believe me -- it was a struggle!!

Your friend will do what he wants but all I can say is --- that first year you'll make mistakes.
Hopefully they'll be minor ones and you and your bike will pull through relatively unscathed

Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Him dropping the bike isn't what I'm worried about. Infact, if he bought a busa and dropped it I would laugh in his face so long as he was okay, because he ****ed up his bike. I'm worried about him killing himself because he's freaking crazy.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Deuce....with his hooligan attitude (which I can relate to)and worries about attention, appearance and such.......ya don't think he would bite on a NEW Husky 510......he would get attention everywhere he went and he could go anywhere.....$hit even Harley riders would BS with him. I know they bs with me all the time on my KTM 640 Adv.....while still cracking on rice burners. I'd luvvvv to have a street legal 510 to hooligan around on

Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I could ask him about it, but my honest opinion is for him he's all about fast. Hey, I'll bring anything up to him if I think it'll keep him from becoming street pizza.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

You know what the funny part is ...... I don't have the skillz to own that Husky.....especially the SM model.....perhaps ina couple years....but not yet

Old 11-11-2007, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't understand why he would want a 'Busa anyway... those things are ugly as sin.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 11-11-2007, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

how many bikes has this guy rode? heck a small ninja or a dirt bike would be a rocketship to him if he's never riddin before.

my comments were about the safety not the bike, that can be replaced pretty easily. just make sure he gears up regardless of what he buys and i don't think the crashes and vids will have any effect on a guy like that. heck they don't have any effect on me except 'sucks for him'.

Quick Reply: My buddy's first bike