Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   I Raced a Harley the other day ... (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/i-raced-harley-other-day-34268/)

Nobrakes 11-23-2010 05:39 AM

I Raced a Harley the other day ...

I raced a Harley the other day, and after some really hard riding I finally managed to pass the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really, twisting sections with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his tail. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant, I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead, and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the mountain, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Schwinn, as well. They really make a great bicycle.

:D

ol guy 11-23-2010 08:38 PM

Your a cruel, cruel person. :D:D

deej 11-23-2010 08:50 PM

I skipped right to the last line, as I thought it was probably a joke. LOL :)

kx slaughter king 11-24-2010 03:36 AM

i was gonna do the same thing as deej but i felt like a laugh. that was awesome

klx678 11-24-2010 02:18 PM

I read some of the jokes while thinking about that stock looking Dyna Glide I saw on a dyno at a metric shop down at Daytona during bike week.

They were working on jetting. The dyno was set up out front on the curb strip area. While watching, we noticed the readout - 130 HP... at the rear wheel!

Imagine trying to "Schwinn" past that one on a straight stretch on your 600 supersport or big inch metric twin... or older V-Max for that matter. Some serious performance there, and it didn't even have straight pipes, it was fairly quiet considering the rpm being run. I'm not a fan of H-D, but am a fan of good performance. And that basically stock looking Dyna had it in spades!

Nobrakes 11-24-2010 03:11 PM

I have nothing against Harley's, I just thought it was funny. Substitute your favorite bike to pick on for Harley.

hoedogg 11-24-2010 05:51 PM

LMAO! good one bro!:D

klx678 11-25-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nobrakes (Post 434102)
I have nothing against Harley's, I just thought it was funny. Substitute your favorite bike to pick on for Harley.

I realize that, I just think of that guy's sleeper Dyna whenever I see something like this though.

It'd be like that Little Nash Rambler song man...

Some guy blastin' along on his sportbike with some guy on a Harley like that beeping the horn. If you heard the song you know what I mean.:D

linkin5 11-27-2010 01:55 AM

I got rid of a 2007 1200R sporty to get my little KLX250 and have no regrets as even with an extra $1000 in the motor it sucked. 580lbs. of poorly suspended crap IMHO. In the twistys it couldn't stay with the 250 I got now. The other problem were the owners I met that were in denial as they thought nothing and I mean nothing was faster anywhere. And last was the talk of posers, I guess this is the greatest nemisis of an HD rider. They are fine bikes for what they really are which is cruisers and tourers but they are not sport bikes. I tried to make my sporty sporty and I ran out of cash.

jeffzx9 11-27-2010 01:57 PM

The thing is, with most H-D riders, they would take personal insult and not stop to have a laugh and compare notes about the run. With most sportbike guys, it would be the opposite; "Hell ya, man, great run, you got me in the corners!" Just my personal experience.
I agree^, the torque of an H-D can be pretty darn impressive and even a sportbike guy has to admire it. (The rest of their John Deere technology is not so amazing.) It's the power to weight and geometry (to me) of the H-D's which turns me off. Although some of the boutique bikes with an H-D motor in a sporty frame with top shelf suspension and hardware make me salivate....
You played his weaknesses exactly right; nice job!