Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Road Trip (repost from "ninja 6r+6rr" thread")

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Road Trip (repost from "ninja 6r+6rr" thread")

**the following is a repost because I figured fellow zx6r owners may not be the most likely people to have taken lots of road trips.

My two friends and I are headed out next thursday for a road trip on our bikes with our respective girlfriends. We're leaving from Burlington, Vermont and headed to Bar Harbor Maine. Mapquest says its in the 7-8 hour range. We're camping there for two nights so the tank bags will be stuffed and all 6 of us will have packs.

I'm on my 00 6r, my one buddy on his 01 R6 and third on a 99 VFR. The one with the VFR is obviously ergonomitally better suited for the trip but we're generally in a similar boat.

My buddy is in the guard and is turning 21 on july 5th and headed off to training for a month a day or two later so we wanted to send him off in prime fasion. The trip is gunna be brutal but fun too.

My bike has over 30k on it and I just wanted to know if anyone has advice to make sure she's mechanically tip top before the trip. It would REALLY suck to have any of us break down. 4th of july weekend would probably leave us without access to parts or service and we're taking the kankamangus highway through NH so we'd be without anyway for that remote section of the trip.

I'm going to change the oil and take a can of chain lube with me, tighten the chain and replace the headlight bulb that is out ,but is there anything else one can really do to prepare for a trip like that besides knocking on wood???

Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Road Trip (repost from "ninja 6r+6rr" thread")

You post in the right place ****.

#1. Tire repair, you must be able to do this all by yourself. Be it slime, plug or my way with field irons and patch. A nice bicycle pump is all you need, don't go overboard with electric.......REAL GOOD IDEA is to practice a repair in the garage, to make sure you got all the right tools in your carry pack.

#2 Compass and waterproof paper map.....I don't care how good a gps you got.

#3 Some JB weld.....sheet happens.... don't forget a quart of oil.

#4 Water....always carry extra water....food is nice but water is mandatory.

#5 Zipties, duct tape and carpenters wire ....don't laugh .... that sheet has fixed a ton of stuff for me.

#6 A couple hundred dollars stashed in your tool kit along with a extra credit card.

#7 Put dry stuff in a REAL waterproof bag.

Thats good enough for a summer adv . Have Fun and if sheet happens just enjoy it, because you will laugh about it when you get home and remember it for years.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as mechanical on the bike, clean or change air filter too. Also check all bolts and nuts on the bike to make sure they are tight... besides that knock on wood.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

well since fm already gave you all the advice you need, ill say this. THE KANG BIATCH!!! i love the kang. everynow and then me and my friend nick go up to a place he has up in lincoln and i tool the kang in my lumi. always wanted to take a bike up there but i aint got the $$ should be a blast.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sounds like fun! take pics for up pls...[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like a lot of luggage for the bikes. saddle bags + women + backpacks? i would really recommend loading up and seeing how it is before going on a trip like that - especially a long one.