Sputtering issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Default Sputtering issues

So i have no clue whether i spelled that correctly or not but i'm having motor trouble when it comes to taking off from a dead stop, really its just sputtering at low RPM's almost like you're out of gas when you're not. but this issue clears up once you clear 3500 or 4000 RPM... mainly when the thing gets hot it starts this, no effect on throttle response at higher RPMs just the low, you can hear it when you rev, but when you try to take off it cuts it low and almost stalls unless you juice it. the only thing i can think of is maybe its flooding out from running without being jetted with an aftermarket exhaust? Help!? its killin me... i dont think its bad gas because its only at idle or very low RPM. any ideas?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sputtering issues

Sounds like she is starving for fuel. If you have a full exhaust then yes you need to rejet and increase the pilots.

If it is only a can then you need to tear down those carbs and clean them. Check and make sure all the pilots are clear and not glogged.

Also while your there check the plugs to see how they look. They will tell you if your lean or rich.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:48 AM

yeah i have a full exhaust and havent jetted it yet, i was looking for a stage 2 jet kit and havent been able to find one for my bike... i piped it like a month ago and continue riding this will all be taken care of soon i just wanted to make sure that was the actual problem. I'm pretty sure its not the carbs being dirty i check them when i put on the exhaust didnt look too bad... do you happen to know a good place to get a stage 2 kit for an 03?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

He's right; it's all a matter of the air-fuel combination. You need to re-jet. (Just don't gotoofar the other way!) That's thebeauty of carburetors which fuel injection eliminates. Watch your plugs.

Jeff Foland
'95 ZX9-R
'71 H1-B

Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

donvier you need to jet kit your bike. you have to be running really lean with a full exhaust on your bike. try finding it online. take a look at dynojet's web site.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:48 PM

I checked Dynojet but they dont have a stage 2 for my bike. any ideas?

Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fz1.htm

try this guy if they do not make a kit ask him what size mains and pilots you should have and if he has a suggestion for the af screws.
I have talked to Ivan and his techsbefore andthey werevery helpful.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 PM

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/zx9r.htm
i was looking at this one before, it doesnt say that its stage 2 but it does say it was tested with the same exhaust... what do you guys think?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Ivan is king in his field. Call the shop and ask them. They were cool as hell with me a couple of years ago!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 AM

I have a 2000 ZX9R with 3100 miles, the bike has hadtrouble with carbs because it sits so much. I have cleaned them 3 times in the 4 yrs I have owed it. My bike runs as you have described.When I want to leave from a stop I have toblip the throttle to get the rpm's up and the bike will pull away just fine, no blip and it stumbles real bad but it does get going after a couple of seconds. Now and then when you come to a stop sign it does stall.

This problem has plagued me since I bought the bike in 03, I also have a 07 ZX6R and its acceleration is so smooth. I have a full Akrapovic Stainless/ Carbon Fibermuffler and K&N Filteron the ZX9R, the problem did get worse with the mods I put on , but the problem was always there from the begining, I have read that these bikes have this problem even when they where new. I have not ridden the bike much because of this problem, I have owned other fuel injection bikes before this 07 ZX6R I just bought and having smooth acceleration makes the ride very enjoyable, the rough running of my ZX9R I contributed to the completely stockCarbs.

If this problem is like yours I may have an answer for you. Spark plugs, the standard NGK CR9EK I removed had a nice tan color to them as they should ,which tells me the fuel mix is good, So I expecting no difference in performance whenI installed Four brand new NGK CR9EIX Iridium. WOW !! what a difference the plugs made, the bike is as responsive as my fuel injection bike, No hesitation, No stalling, No dead spots in the power band, I can't believe it is the same bike, the bike idles rock solid .

I have been a mechanic for thirty years and have seen many weird things on motorcycle operations ( ex: 1980 KZ440 will not run without the air filter) so in my bikes case what should have done very little for it , has actually fixed it completely. hope my info helps, sorry about the long post.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Sputtering issues