HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Default HELP!!!!!

i have a 2001 zx9r and the coolant turned black! it looks like motor oil. i have no idea what to do. brought it to the stealer, and they said it could be a head gasket. but the bike runs and acts fine. it was serviced last year. is it possible old owner put the wrong coolant in? im out of ideas and dont know what to do. i ran water through the coolant system to clean it, then filled it with the green stuff.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP!!!!!

so did it turn black again after the flush?? how does your oil look???

Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP!!!!!

well, Mr. nissan man..might have lost the water pump. when the inner brearing fails, shaft wobble occurs, and oil will migrate past the 2 mechanical seal in the assemble and into the impeller housing.
take the pump off and wiggle the shaft.. if it moves more that .008" or so radially or axially, the bearings are going out.. they'll last for about 20K-35K miles it seems.

its no way the head gasket..
it'd be the other way around, then.. you'd have water/coolant in your oil.. what a bunch of stupid tools..lol

i hate stealerships. they lie! they're evil in its's purest form, sir.

nah.. quick test for blown gasket.. take the rad cap off when the bikes cold. start the bike with the cap off.. if the coolant instantly shoots out like it was hot. .. this indicates a blown head gasket...the pressure is leaking from the combustion chamber into the water jacket surrounding the bores, thus pressurizing the water. a wet compression test will ndicat that as well.. do a dry test... note pressure. add a cap or 3 of oil or ATF into the cylinder. re-do test. note pressure... significant pressure increase=normal.. good ring seal, and head gasket intact.

no change in pressure reading= open valve (stuck) or gasket failure.

the oil will help the rings seal, so naturally, the pressure will rise, but it won't go uphill onto the head gasket or valves!!..

leaking gasket will still leak regardless of a wet or dry comp test.

anyway..
i fixed my (almost $300) pump on my 6-E for $32 by just replacing the bearings with ones bought at an industrial supply house. if this is the case, you may luck out as well!