Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Ninja ZX-7R (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-zx-7r-62/)
-   -   Possible Purchase 1998 ZX7R (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-zx-7r-62/possible-purchase-1998-zx7r-18286/)

clovedboss 01-10-2008 11:10 PM

Possible Purchase 1998 ZX7R

I would really like to purchase this ZX7R but it does have problems and yes price has been reduced to a good sale because of it. Apparently the Push Rod broke in the engine. The engine has since been taken out and is waiting to be rebuilt. Big question is if there is a possiblity of finding a new engine for it or would i be better off having it rebuilt? My best friend isactually a master mechanic...on cars, but he says he is sure he can pull it off but theres no telling how much dmg there is. Whats the input from you guys? Could i put myself in a bad situation. Im willing to spend around 1,500 in repairs if necessary. The bike is completely tricked out ;). But that poor engine.. :(

Dragone#19 01-11-2008 02:05 AM

RE: Possible Purchase 1998 ZX7R

Knowing that a rod has went can get into some unknowns. Crank, heavy scoring, missing pieces of liner....the list can get pretty big. I would prolly score another engine that is available just in case. Since you do not know of the extent of the damage without tearing into it. Then see if it is worth the total cost for the ride.

kawi750r 01-11-2008 08:09 AM

a car mechanic can be good with small engines too being the science is the same. if it's a killer price i'd say get it and have the motor rebuilt by your friend. if the owner wants to have it rebuilt first wait for that because i'm sure the guy won't charge as mucheven with the rebuild being he can't get that out of it.

just use your experience and common sense and score a deal. 7R's FTMFW!!!!

hoedogg 01-11-2008 01:51 PM

how much $$$is it???

BigRig18Wheeler 01-12-2008 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: clovedboss

I would really like to purchase this ZX7R but it does have problems and yes price has been reduced to a good sale because of it. Apparently the Push Rod broke in the engine. The engine has since been taken out and is waiting to be rebuilt. Big question is if there is a possiblity of finding a new engine for it or would i be better off having it rebuilt? My best friend isactually a master mechanic...on cars, but he says he is sure he can pull it off but theres no telling how much dmg there is. Whats the input from you guys? Could i put myself in a bad situation. Im willing to spend around 1,500 in repairs if necessary. The bike is completely tricked out ;). But that poor engine.. :(
Did you mean connecting rod? 7 has overhead cams without push rods right....

If it is the connecting rod, and it broke, the cylinder is probably scarred pretty good, rings, possibly crank. If you have to change the rod, you gotta do the lower bearings anyway. I would be concerned more about the cylinder wall. Depending on the amoount of machine work involved, and the price of the ride, if the sled is cheap enough, might be a more feasible idea to find a replacement motor used maybe? But, really won't know until you get it toredown.

whitehendrix 01-12-2008 05:32 AM

best bet is just get a whole 'nother engine bro... theres probably bits of cast and crap in the bearing journals and both oil pumps.

thats an expensive process to rebuild a grenaded motor.... ebay motor time! the swap is easy...

kawi750r 01-12-2008 07:03 AM

all depends on what your looking for and how deep your pockets are.

buying the bike if it's good priced would be nice and finding a replacement motor will save you a lot of cash in the long run. may not be new but a rebuild, especially if the motor is pretty scarred, is rather expensive.