No headlights, no blinkers!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Default No headlights, no blinkers!!

90H2 just got done with the 520 conversion and now everytime I turn on the bike it blows the 20 amp inline fuse. The blinkers don't work either. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with their ol skool??

I figure a short to ground, yet no wires were touched to the extreme of that happening with a chain and sprocket upgrade. I have her naked in the garage to check connections and look over the wiring. There's not that much so what the hell mang.. lol[/align]

Old 04-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Default RE: No headlights, no blinkers!!

May want to check the relay.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 PM

I was thinking about that, maybe testing the relays for the low and high beam, I've never had a relay blow afuse constantly like that, once a relay is out it effects itself in the long run.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 AM

putting LED indicators won't affect the flasher will it??

Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 AM

Okay good looking on the relay. My low beamrelay is out. As for the indicators, I replaced my blinkers with a LED set in back and a bulb set up front. Are the LEDs causing a problem?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

shouldn't be.. the resistance is high enough on them to not cause a short.. should be about a 3.7V LED and a 700 ohm resistor to know the 12V down to the correct bias voltage..

unless they're shorted,of course.. they shouldn't cause a problem.. and should alread be enginered for a12V system.

mighta caught the taglight wire with a wrench.. ya know.. always something silly that goes wrong that ya never take into consideratin..

keep us posted..

the relay going out shouldn't cause a short tho.. unless the coil literally burns up, but still maintains continuity somehow..

Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 PM

I feel you on the relay, that ain't the thing. I don't know what "taglight" is. Could you better explain that to me(I haven't heard that phrase before)? Now I'm back to a short to ground. I am going to have to pull her apart again. High beams work and the low beams bust the fuse. So I am stumped with only three feet of harness, two relays, and a rectifier,LOL.Is there any specific grounds that a on the bike thatare tucked inside of Bessie's body .. Thanksfor thehelp.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM

okay update! Dug into her today and I had wired her front blinkers wrong because the wiring had already been rigged by the previous onwner... So I go grab an LED flasher for the indicators/blinkers and on the way home she dies. Battery decides to go dead on me. SO I push start her. Up and going. Now to put her on the charger and work on the blinkers tomorrow. Now I have the front blinkers running when the bike is on and so are the lowbeamsbut no blinkingfront or rear. Any other ideas??

Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Default update

she died on me last night leaving the gas station after work. So today I went to pick her up from work after driving with no headlights at NIGHT. Was on the freeway and BAM she starts bogging down at 80 mph. Kicks the bucket and now to the pushing heron the freeway. Well I said **** it. Took it to the dealer, let's hope her age doesn't dismay them.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: update

hmm, wish ya luck then on the fix.

Quick Reply: No headlights, no blinkers!!